Stuck on which weather API to use

I am also stuck with the weather api. I liked the idea of breaking it down in various parts. So, I am having problem at present in connecting to the weather API. I would like to know which weather API did you use.
thanks for the help

It doesn’t seem to be working.

I chose to use OpenWeatherMap.org, but a web search for “weather api” shows that there are many, many options available. Almost all of them have a limited free tier that would be suitable for the FCC challenge.

Security of the API key is an issue, though. So, instead of putting my API key into the code I require the user of the app to provide one and I store that in a cookie. It’s definitely not user-friendly, but the target audience is other FCC alumni and we all need to know how to obtain our own API keys anyway :slight_smile:

A web search for “weather API” yields many, many results and most of them seem to have a limited free option.

I found the JSON responses from fcc-weather-api to be inconsistent. Sometimes the icon value is a full URL and other times it’s just an undocumented code. I read somewhere that fcc-weather-api is from OpenWeathermap, but I don’t see how that could be. I got different responses from OpenWeatherMap with the same request. I’m not sure if there are other inconsistencies, but I really wanted a working icon, so that was a deal-breaker.

Thanks. I was able to use the same and complete the challenge.

You should use a free keyless API for the project if the freecodecamp one is not working. I settled for the yahoo API. Here’s a list of APIs - https://github.com/toddmotto/public-apis/blob/master/README.md#weather

1 Like