Sum All Primes Explanation

function sumPrimes(num) {

var prime = [];
  //This loop references the function 'isPrime'.
  //It passes the 'i' arg to 'isPrime' (which is 2 first time). 
    for(var i = 2; i <= num; i++) {
      if(isPrime(i)) {
          prime.push(i);
      }      
    }

//Function takes 2 (i) and checks it. If it passes the for loop (j = 2; if j < num(2)), it doesn't
  //pass this, so it returns false. Then j = 3??? No, J stays at 2 and i(num) becomes 3. Then it continues to fail..? COnfused because the code works. Thought I understood it.
    function isPrime(num) {
      for (var j = 2; j < num; j++) {
        if (num % j === 0) {
          return false;
        }
      }
      return true;
    }  

return prime;

}

sumPrimes(20);

See my code comments. I have passed this challenge but I want some help understanding the code. I thought I understood it but canā€™t understand why the for loop works in the ā€˜isPrimeā€™ function.
Any help would be much appreciated. Literally tearing my hair out over it the last few days.

@JoshuaPP isPrime( ) function checks if the number is prime or not.

The task of sumPrimes( ) function is to sum all the prime numbers up until the specified number - in your case num variable. So the for loop starts from 2 and it goes on until it reaches the num. In every iteration, it checks whether i is prime number or not using isPrime function. If it is prime, than it adds i to the primes array.

I hope that this was helpful, feel free to ask if there are still some things that are not clear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But the isPrime variable is passed the number 2 because i = 2 no? Meaning that for (var j=2; j < num(2); j++) never runs?? because j isnā€™t less than 2, it is equal to two(i).

I am obviously wrong, but I canā€™t understand why I am wrong. Sorry for the misunderstandingā€¦ Itā€™s probably really simple mistake.

function sumPrimes(numArgOne) {

var prime = [];
  //This loop references the function 'isPrime'.
  //It passes the 'i' arg to 'isPrime' (which is 2 first time). 
    for(var i = 2; i <= numArgOne; i++) {
      if(isPrime(i)) {
          prime.push(i);
      }      
    }

function isPrime(numArgTwo) {
      for (var j = 2; j < numArgTwo; j++) {
        if (numArgTwo% j === 0) {
          return false;
        }
      }
      return true;
    }  

return prime;

}

I believe what confuses is you is that the same name for function parameter is used for isPrime function and sumPrimes function. The code I posted above may be easier to read and understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh, I swapped those around already. As in, I did that to help understand my confusion.

What I donā€™t understand is perhaps the way the looping is working and the ordering of it? So, numArgTwo = 2 now on the first run no? This means that the for loop is checked if j < numArgTwo right? And itā€™s not, as they are both equal?

Thanks again

Letā€™s try sumPrimes(5); for exampleā€¦
What happends first is that variable i equals 2, and it enters the loop inside the sumPrimes function.
Then the program asks if i is a prime number - i is currently 2. The isPrime function returns a boolean true or false value. We go inside the loop of isPrime function, which will have no iteration because it starts from 2 and finishes before two, thus we have 0 iterations, and program doesnā€™t enter the loop, instead it goes straight to the end and returns true.

Variable i is a prime number so the array prime extends and it looks like this now

//this is prime array-------> [2]

That is the end of the first iteration of sumPrime function, i is 3 now and we start the second iteration.

Then the program asks if i is a prime number - i is currently 3. The isPrime function returns a boolean true or false value. We go inside the loop of isPrime function, which looks like this now

for( var j = 2; j < 3; j++)

Now this loop will have only one iteration, and here we see that 3%2 is not equal to 0, the iteration ends, and the loop ends, because j is 3 now.

Variable i is a prime number so the array prime extends and it looks like this now

//this is prime array-------> [2,3]

You can try to guess what happens when i reaches 4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, makes sense now I think. Thanks so much dude, much appreciated.

I guess 4 <= numArgOne, so isPrime(i) is called.
J < numArgTwo(4)
4 % J is equal to 0 so it returns false

Does j return to 2 next time the code runs? E.g. next time isPrime(i) is called?

Forgive me, I did a lot of the lessons before and took a lengthy break from this.

Yes, j always starts from the 2 :slight_smile: That is the way you wrote the code

The code made sense before, but I have since forgotten. I am trying to go back and comment things.

The problem is that I have some trouble visualising the looping sometimes and what/how it is doing things. Not sure If I am alone in having this problem

1 Like

I think most people have difficulties with loops and arrays first time they meet them. But donā€™t worry, practice makes it perfect. Try to solve simple problems first, that will build your confidence. Everything is hard at first, there is a saying ā€œEvery pro was once an amateurā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the help and inspiration!

2 Likes

N.b. the posted solution works but using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_of_Eratosthenes is a lot faster.