Sunday Meetup: Episode 6 Redux

Meeting Point Person

The person to contact about this meeting is: @robertgroves

RSVP Required

• Please RSVP to attend by clicking the going link in the top header of this post (located to the right of the date/time)
  • Please RSVP at least 24 hours before the event start time
  • Please do not RSVP if you are not sure that you can make it
  • We understand emergencies happen but RSVPing and then being a no show should not be a regular occurrence
  • If you RSVP’d and are not going to make it, be courteous and message the meeting point person to let them know

How To Find Us

Head up the staircase (or use the elevator) to the second floor. We will be in Meeting Room 2 which is located in the northwest corner of the second floor.

What We’ll Be Doing

I’ll be running a Nodeschool workshop (topic TBA) which everyone can feel free to participate in, but are not obligated to if you want to work through the freeCodeCamp curriculum instead.

1 Like

Update: Good news! I have gone through the approval process for reserving rooms at the Capital One Cafe. We have a meeting room booked for our Sunday meetup. The details have been added to the original post.

2 Likes

Update #2: Capital One Cafe also has a two-hour limit for booking rooms similar to how Harold Washington Library limits bookings. I want to respect their rules so that we have a good relationship with this location. So for the first two hours we will be in Meeting Room 2, after that if anyone wants to stay we can fill into an empty space throughout the cafe.

2 Likes

I should point out that the “Redux” in the meetup title is in the Merriam-Webster sense of the word, since the last “Episode 6” meetup was canceled. We will not be going over Redux the state container for JavaScript apps. Sorry if there was any confusion there.

1 Like

Hi Everyone, I need your input. So far there are only 4 of us meeting this Sunday. I’m trying to plan out which NodeSchool workshop I will go over in our meeting. I know we have various levels of experience so I wanted to see what would be of interest to those with lesser experience and maybe considered a refresher for those with more experience.

Here are the options so far and I’d like everyone to rank these in order of their interest:

1. Learn Git and GitHub basics
  2. Learn the basics of JavaScript
  3. Learn the basics of node: asynchronous i/o, http

Note: If everyone has a basic understanding of JavaScript I’d like to run workshop #3, but am open to the others if not everyone is at that point yet.

Most Interesting -> 3, 2, 1 -> Least Interesting

@kathleeng77 what is your current comfort level with JavaScript? Have you ever tried anything with Node.js?

@robertgroves I apologize I’m just now checking this forum.

I’m currently learning JavaScript and really enjoy it. I haven’t used Node.js, but it’s on my list so I’m very interested!!

See y’all this afternoon!

1 Like

Hi All, please be sure to have Node.js installed on your laptops before arrival today so we can all jump right into the NodeSchool workshop.

My apologies, I’m running 5-10 minutes behind. I will be there by 1:10pm at the latest.

I believe the 2nd floor room will be open but if not check with the front desk Capital One hosts and let them know you are there for the freeCodeCamp meetup booked for meeting room #2.