The 2019 Web Developer Roadmap - A Visual Guide to Becoming a Front End, Back End, or DevOps Developer

The 2019 Web Developer Roadmap - A Visual Guide to Becoming a Front End, Back End, or DevOps Developer

There are many ways you can go about picking up the skills you need to become a developer.

There are linear curriculums that teach you a bit of everything - like freeCodeCamp's full stack development curriculum.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/2019-web-developer-roadmap/
4 Likes

if it can still be edited, there’s a double “Here’s” there.

Hey, great roadmap. Just…I don’t know, don’t you think that serverless front end and JAMStack should be there?
Loving the roadmap, tho

1 Like

I think this roadmap is a great idea, and really useful for people who are near the beginning of this journey. That being said, I have to admit that I did not (and do not) learn software development in a neat, linear roadmap style. In reality, I’ve found myself as a practical matter learning various parts of both the front-end and backend roadmaps simultaneously.

For example - to build even a very simple web application I have needed to develop basic working knowledge of CSS, HTML, Express, a database, and Javascript (with or without a framework).

Bottom Line: I think the real value of this roadmap is in knowing the various pieces that you’re going to need to fit together over the course of your journey, but I’m not convinced that the order maps perfectly to the reality of building things and getting hired.

2 Likes

Hey Micah, great to see you on here again!

Yes - learning is rarely so clear-cut as this roadmap lays out. But that’s OK. Reality is messy :smile:

I think the real value of this roadmap is in knowing the various pieces that you’re going to need to fit together over the course of your journey.

100% agreed.

Welcome to the forum, Victor!

This is the 2019 roadmap - I’ll be excited to see whether JAMstack and serverless front end make it into the 2020 roadmap. I can tell you that we use the JAMstack extensively at freeCodeCamp. The curriculum itself is a JAMstack app.

you da real mvp

2 Likes

One of the best roadmaps I’ve seen for web development. I wonder whether we could come up with some good places where we could learn about these items in those 3 roadmaps.

There are many ways you can go about picking up the skills you need to become a developer. And then there are massive lists of skills - and sometimes lists of resources - you can use to “choose your own adventure” through the learning process.

here in this post you can find the roadmap and lists of tools and resources that are required for the following paths:

• Front end web development
  • Back end web development
  • DevOps (also known as “site reliability” - this is sort of an evolution of the old System Administrator role)

what are your opinions about learning the Flutter framework as a beginner, as a replacement for js?

Hmm no mention of serverless functions?

What level of SQL mastery would you declare as necessary for an individual who is just getting started learning to code?

Sorry for the slow response. I don’t think you need to master it. In my experience, even at a entry level interview you may be asked the basics and asked to describe how to construct basic SELECT queries.

I wouldn’t put more than a few hours a month into understanding the topics.