Hey everyone! Hope it is all well in the happy coding world.
First of all, quick info about myself. Like all of you, I am here to learn web development, however, I do have an (educational-wise) background in design in graphic and web.
I am planning to write a good few topics that focus on the basic principles in web design such as
- colour theory
- the use of typography
- the fundamental of grid layout
- and so on…
Now, some of you are probably thinking well this is not the right place for this subject as it does not involve coding. While technically this is kind of true, on the other hand:
Post on advice and resources has been asked…
I have seen a handful of other fellow members’ posts in the forum asking for advice and resources on learning web design.
This also included the time that I have posted my tribute page of John Steinbeck and I had so many (amazing) responses and messages from everyone in this community.
The responses I had ranged from
- Asking for feedback on their tribute page or other projects
- Asking to explain on a particular fundamental of web design
- Asking where to start and what to do to achieve their own design
When I said it is kind of true...
On the other hand, it would help a web developer (that’d be you) to learn and know at least the basics. By doing so, you would have a better understanding of
- Applying design to element in an appropriate manner, especially when it involves the case of accessibility
- How that fine small details are applied
- Making your layout making navigational
- Getting the design and code to work together in order to create an effective layout
I mean we are here to learn to code, but I am sure that some of use want to add the final touch where we feel happy and confident to display our portfolio of projects to the employers, friends & family or anyone for that matter.
Thus, this is why I will be writing topics in the next weeks to help you guys.
What it will involve is the topic itself with some imagery, examples, tips and maybe some practical exercises. I will also add extra resources and handy design tools.
I also want to stress that your involvement and contribution to the discussion will be vital.
I have made feedback to FCC that I think it would be beneficial to add a small section of the basic principles of web design to FCC. However, only the future can tell what will happens next, but if there were sufficient amount of responses showing interest and involvement then hopefully FCC would see it and be open to the idea, right?
Please write a response (in all topics) if:
- You have any questions to ask - this does not have to be related to the particular topic I will post
- You do not understand or do not feel clear on what I have written - this is important
- You have positive or negative feedback - this would definitely be appreciated
- you know any relevant resources, tools, advice, and tips to add - that would be really cool!
- You just simply like to have a conversation on a design topic - please do so!
If you have any questions you would like to ask now, post a reply. Other than that, I shall be polishing my next topic - The first process in web design and hopefully it shall be post in coming days!
Anyway, happy coding everyone and have a great weekend!
List of Topics
Note: More topics to be added over the period of time