The rest operator

The rest operator

Hi.

The rest operator, just like the map(), filter() and reduce() methods, isn’t well explained, which makes me wonder why.

I can’t understand how the rest operator works at all. I haven’t even a guess at how to attempt this exercise.

Well, you should not depend on FreeCodeCamp only.
It’s also advised to Read, Search & Ask and you are doing a good job by asking the question.

The rest operator is easy to understand & it’s very useful when you do not know how many arguments are going to be received in a function call.

Let’s suppose you have a function called sum that returns the sum of two numbers only:

function sum (a,b) {
   return a + b;
}

To call it

sum(5,50);

Fine there’s no problem, you already know that it takes only two numbers a and b, but the problem is when you do not know how many numbers it’s going to receive; it could be 5, or 10 or 100 or only 2 (Variable)

The solution is to use the Rest Operator which takes: three points + the name of the operator like: ...args or ...theArg or anything you want.

The function with Rest Operator is going to be:

function sum(...arg) {
/* 
1) because ...arg is going to be an array, 
the best way to sum all the numbers in an array is? - Reduce!
2) The array can be accessed with the name given to 
the Rest Operator, in this case: arg 
*/

return arg.reduce(function(prev, curr) {
     return prev + curr;
})

}

sum(3,5,6,9,7,10,15,16);

It’s up to you, now, to convert the function given in the challenge into a function that accepts a variable number of parameters/arguments.