The Struggle Is Real

Everything JavaScript. I just can’t get my head around it. I keep thinking to myself, why don’t I get it! I tend to look at basic JavaScript code for hours trying to figure out how it runs.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the algorithm challenges.
It’s a huge hit to my pride whenever I look up a solution on the wiki and realize somewhere I had an inkling of the illustrated idea, but chose another path. It has me plunking cash and time down on other Javascript and Python courses, hoping they’ll help me grow and approach the problems with fresh tools in mind.
I’ve started reading “How to Think Like A Programer” by V. Anton Spraul, but I feel like I’m treading on shifting sands because I feel like I can’t trust my mind to keep any good progress. Feels like College Algebra again, where I just barely got by doing basic arithmetic hacks in the margins.

Anyways, thats my little vent.

2 Likes

I’m struggling with React.
But i must need to pass this for my Data Visualization Certification.
I think this book will help me to pass it.

I find arrays, especially multi-dimensional, or object based arrays to be a challenge. I’m always finding myself scratching my head on how to access the fifth string in the third list of the ninth object…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same problem when reading code. I can read through an example, but as soon as I try to go in and do it myself it just melts away. Maybe writing the code you read in psuedo code, then translating back into your own code would be a good exercise.

The answer to that question is, we’re here to do algorithms.:grin:

3 Likes

unemployment and finals

React is making a lot of sense, but webpack is about the most obtuse thing I’ve ever tried to understand.

I’ve finished the first React project, but have no idea how to actually FTP it to add it as a page on my website.

In life, being busy constantly and always having something going on that distracts me from making the same kind of progress I was making a few months ago.

react is really hard. I am trying to create first project and I dont know where to start. My biggest frustration with react is syntax. I dont know where to use () here to use {} . any pointers?

Javascript is tough. The tooling especially is insane! Now there is es2015, arrow functions, generators ,let block scoping, template strings etc. This imo is not beginner friendly.
No need to beat yourself over it. If you really like making web apps there are other options out there. Rails Django Phoenix Relay Laravel etc. one of them could be built on language that might be easy for you. Also, not every site needs React, Angular or has to be a SPA.

I’m struggling with Basic JavaScript. I just don’t get it!

I am struggling with the fact that I am at the basic algorithm section, and I havent done any of the front end projects yet! :frowning: So Now I get to do my tribute page! Which honestly I am thankful for because I was just thinking about how I WISHED I had a project to build because I was stuck on my course work :smile:

Yes, the struggle is real. The algorithms are difficult, but they force me to think about different aspects of Java Script in a way that I wouldn’t independently. I’m not sure if all of them make sense, but I think they challenge one to problems in a creative fashion.

I totally understand. Free Code Camp is awesome. However, if this is the first time you’ve looked at Java Script, the instructions are challenging to understand at times. I was initially introduced to Java Script via YouTube - TheNewBoston’s tutorials. I really appreciate Free Code Camp, but I agree that it’s challenging.

Jasmine and Test Driven Development can help to fight the spaghetti.

Thanks for the forwarding the information.

I feel you. My first language is Spanish. When I see, read something I have to be in the mind-translating status all the time.

Every day there’s at least one if not several new brick walls in front of me! :slight_smile: I’m slowly smashing them down… too dumb to go around or over 'em!

Currently callbacks are my nemesis. Reading lots, the ‘Minion’ article here on Medium and several others… it’s like watching Inception!

I sometimes anthropomorphise the code. Like when I’m yelling at it, “Why you no work!!! What, you wanna look unaesthetic?!! Fine, be that way. You be you. But, just so you know, your alignment is not ideal for the human eye, and most humans would appreciate it if you would allow me to modify it. Just sayin’…”

4 Likes

I am having difficulties in understanding fibonacci series and adding all odd numbers. :angry: