The Web Developer Bootcamp - Udemy Review

Hey Everyone !! As I came to know about this course, I tried to search the course on torrent and I got the complete web developer bootcamp course but I have a doubt i.e. Do colt frequently updates this course content on udemy? if not then I will not have to pay for it as I already found the course on torrent.

I finished that course not long ago. There is a teaching assistant named Ian who puts up slides before videos offering some tips but theyre not too important. The course is well worth it, so why not support Colt and Ian and just buy the course? I bought mine for $12 and its helped me get super comfortable with express and node and there are some great little projects. Just get into it and dont think about it for too long! :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve done Coltā€™s course and I liked it. But I really feel that he should also put in a front-end framework like React, Angular or Vue then show how it can connect to a RESTful API, in short a client-side full-stack, which I believe is what FCC wants with the fullstack projects. Then he can rename this The COMPLETE Web Developer Bootcamp :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well Thankyou! I guess now Iā€™m going to buy it.

1 Like

@imcodingideas Thanks for posting the review. Just picked the course up for 10 bucks!

Hoping it all goes well with FCC.

Thanks!

This! Iā€™m working my way through the course right now and filling gaps in my knowledge I didnā€™t know I had.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review! I just bought that course a few days ago, cant wait to get started.

Hey @htsh, yes Colt update frequently the course. Borrow someone credit card, buy the course when Udemy offers all the courses for USD 10. Worth every penny to do it.

1 Like

Thank you! @nelruk I have already begun the course on Udemy.

2 Likes

I recently finished this course and thought it was really good. Really enjoyed the back-end part of the course, and especially learned a lot towards the end, during the latter refactors of YelpCamp when authentication and authorization were added, and deploying to Heroku which Iā€™d never done before.

Btw, Colt now has two TAs helping out with the course, and he recently released a new course on SQL.

This course may well be one of Udemyā€™s most popular courses by far with over 150K enrolled students as of today, beating out its nearest competitor, The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 (which I reviewed back in July 2015), by more than 20K students. Created by Colt Steele, whoā€™s worked at some of the biggest names in coding bootcamps and MOOC platforms including General Assembly, Galvanize, and currently Udacity, itā€™s a very extensive and wide-reaching course that more than lives up to its name as a virtual bootcamp and is elevated by its instructor, whose experience with coding education is clearly evident throughout its 42.5 hours. Thatā€™s certainly a big time investment, and most people will likely take at least a couple of months to get through it (if not longer)ā€”it ended up taking me just about the whole summer and I made the effort to make at least a little bit of progress almost every day.

Now the main difference between this course by Colt Steele and ā€œThe Complete Web Developer Course 2.0ā€ by Rob Percival is in the tech stack that each course coversā€”Steeleā€™s course covers the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express.js, and Node.js, leaving out Angular), while Percivalā€™s course covers the xAMP stack (MySQL and PHP, leaving out Apache). For me, having taken both courses now, Iā€™m glad that I gained exposure to both tech stacks as they each have their pros and cons, but Steeleā€™s course will probably feel more up-to-date for more people since the JavaScript ecosystem has been rapidly increasing in popularity over the past year. Additionally, Steeleā€™s course covers back-end development (via Node.js, Express.js, and MongoDB) in depth to build a sample full-stack web app (called ā€œYelpCampā€), while Percivalā€™s course barely scratches the surface of PHP and relational SQL databases and doesnā€™t have an equivalent xAMP full-stack project. In the end, this made Steeleā€™s course feel much more well-rounded than Percivalā€™s, which had almost as much breadth of material but didnā€™t tie all of the topics together in the same way that Steeleā€™s course did.

But despite the differences in subject matter, Steeleā€™s course simply ended up being a huge improvement over Percivalā€™s, so much so that itā€™s honestly just a no-brainer to take Steeleā€™s course instead of Percivalā€™s. Not only did Steele cover a dizzying array of topics from the front-end to the back-end, along with foundational and intermediate concepts like the DOM, JSON, RESTful APIs, authentication, authorization, and deploying web apps to Heroku, but he also explained all of his code line by line in plain English and made sure to cover some of the essential topics that every front-end Web developer should know, like using MDN as a reference, understanding the DOM, and knowing what the CSS cascade and box model are. None of these important topics were covered by Percival in his course, which contributed to making Percivalā€™s course less comprehensive and distinctly inferior.

Thatā€™s not to say that Steeleā€™s course is perfect though, because it definitely has its flaws. For one, Steele consistently misused the H1 through H4 header tags and never used them in order sequentially, demonstrating a lack of awareness on how to use them properly to establish document structure and hierarchy. Furthermore, for the Tic Tac Toe Board project in particular, he used an HTML TABLE to implement the board layout instead of using DIVs, which is not good practice because HTML tables should be used only to display tabular data and never for layout purposes. Steele was also a bit sloppy in the spacing for his JavaScript code, and didnā€™t conform to any of the coding style guidelines established by Google, Airbnb, or Douglas Crockford. The HTML and CSS coverage both also came across as cursory and not very in-depth compared to courses available on Lynda.com, and the HTML coverage in particular wasnā€™t up to date with the latest HTML5-specific tags. There was absolutely no coverage on responsive Web development techniques either (like ā€œmobile firstā€), or using responsive text sizing (by using either ems or percentages), or the accessibility implications of using the STRONG and EM tags. Lastly, the closed captions automatically generated by Udemy were effectively useless as they showed the wrong word too often, particularly on key terminologies, so total beginners to Web development as well as non-native English speakers will likely get very frustrated by that.

Conclusion: For the most part, Colt Steeleā€™s ā€œThe Web Developer Bootcampā€ is an extremely well-crafted and well-rounded crash course (or comparable virtual ā€œbootcampā€) on both front-end and back-end Web development using the MEAN stackā€”minus Angular (or React for that matter), of course. Youā€™ll need to take a separate course for either Angular or React if you want to learn those! Steele is an effective & exceptional instructor and ties everything together so well by the end of the course that youā€™ll be amazed at how far youā€™ve come once you get there. Combine this with Brad Schiffā€™s ā€œGit a Web Developer Jobā€ course also on Udemy to form a one-two punch that will help you to truly begin to get job-ready as a Web developer!

Rating: 4 out of 5 (-1 for various technicalities detracting from the thoroughness of the material and demonstrating some poor practices)

5 Likes

Just bought this course on sale after reading your reviews. It sounds great. Wondering how people have worked through this with FCC curriculum? Iā€™m about to start my last project for the intermediate front end projects so iā€™ll definitely tick that off before starting.

Have people found it best completing them simultaneously or one is best done first?

1 Like

Another +1 here for Coltā€™s course - an absolute bargain. Unlike the majority of tutors in most or all of the other online bootcamp type courses Iā€™ve tried (of which there have been plenty), he really has a knack of getting across the ā€˜whyā€™ as well as the ā€˜howā€™.

What I personally found most valuable about this course was that it really works to develop the confidence and skills necessary for you to go away and build on what youā€™ve learned once itā€™s over. For example, I used to find the docs for stuff like jQuery & MongoDB really intimidating and technical - but now theyā€™re the first place I go to figure things out, and I credit this bootcamp for that. Throughout the course Colt very deliberately and systematically chips away at the mystique that I imagine most other newbie coders feel when theyā€™re setting out (I definitely did!), which I thought was invaluable and pretty unique.

3 Likes

Yet another person who has taken Colt Steeleā€™s course; and also recommends it. I felt that the YelpCamp project seemed to run out of steam and finish a little prematurely: it would have been good to see a polished application at the end of the course. However, I think he does give a reasonable introduction to the areas covered, and provides enough of a kick start to enable further self-study.

2 Likes

I completed this course right around the time I was working on my last front end projects. It helped a ton, and it set me up nicely to start working on FCCā€™s back end certificate.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Around a year ago I signed up to Coltā€™s Web Development Bootcamp course. My aim was to go through the course from beginning to end and to take detailed notes along the way. It was a LONG journey but I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I picked up so many skills and now feel confident developing web applications using Node.js

Shortly after the course I partnered with my brother (who is an automation test engineer) to set up a small business. Our idea was to come up with a course that teaches people the world of automation testing (sharing the skills he has learnt during his career) for a one off fee for lifetime access to 10 hours of detailed video tutorials using some of the most in demand automation testing technologies (Selenium Webdriver, Cucumber BDD, Apache Maven etc.)

I was responsible for developing the site and thanks to the Web Development Bootcamp, I was able to put my new skills to use.

I cannot recommend Coltā€™s course enough. You may find it challenging at times but all I can say is stick with it! The support is great, the lectures are clear and easy to follow and by the end of it you will have picked up skills that are invaluable.

Kind regards,

Salvatore

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got this course on my Christmas list! To add to it, what courses have yā€™all found on Udemy for freelancing?

The course from Colt Steele is good and very understandable I try to buy it but the facilities is not there, reason is I donā€™t have a paypal or a credit card either , Paypal is not supported in my country Liberia and only working people really uses credit hope someone could buy it for out of good gestures and the God of programming will strengthen your knowledge

Heyā€¦send me an email tommywebacct@gmail.com
I may have some resources for you.

1 Like

This course is one of the best sellers on Udemy in web development section. I also have finished this course itā€™s perfect for beginners and for advance users. You can also enroll to this course by using Udemy Coupon for Web Developer Bootcamp then it will be free or with discount.

1 Like