[Thoughts] Why UI design and UX matters

It is easy when you are designing your tribute or portfolio to just throw buttons, progress bars, and dropdowns on there just because they look cool and others are doing it. However, little design choices can have huge consequences. One mistake I often see is people putting their skills on progress bars like this (taken from someone’s codepen):

At first glance, it may appear like a nifty design, but it is actually not that good. Instead of giving a glance of your best skills, you are showing that you are rather bad at JavaScript and PHP. The 95% and 90% for HTML and WordPress are also highly subjective, and if you are rating yourself that high in those categories while rating your self that much worse in JavaScript, it is probable that you are very bad at JavaScript.

That’s trivial. Poor design choices led to a panic in Hawaii last weekend as Hawaiians were greeted with a message: “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.” Sure, the worker who pressed the button is an idiot. Go ahead, blame Trump because he has probably escalated fears of missiles falling out of the sky. But the whole thing could have been easily prevented if whoever designed the program had been more conscious of design. An example of the interface by Quartz:

If you were given the option above which would you pick? This is a horrible design implementation by the developer. The user is given two almost identical options with two disastrously different results. Don’t do this to your users. I have below a link to the article, and I think you should read it. I found it very helpful and eye-opening.

So, while throwing buttons on your projects may seem trivial, you MUST think about your user’s perspective and consequences that may arise because of your choices.

3 Likes

You know another trend I’ve seen being used in abundance lately? CSS animations on page sections. Now don’t get me wrong, they’re really sharp looking when done right and can add visual interest. But I’m talking about the sites that use them down the entire page. Like every section swoops or pops or fades in. I’m like…okay, I get it, you can use animations, good for you.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel less is more in these situations. It just looks like showing off otherwise. Or perhaps the content itself is so bland you feel like you have to dress up every inch of it. Whatever the reasoning is, if I come across like three animations in a row I’m outta there.

3 Likes

The field of User Experience focuses on maximizing the user’s pleasure, satisfaction, motivation, efficiency, and productivity when using a product or service. User Experience is about solving problems in real people’s lives and helping people to attain their goals. UX professionals deal with users’ pain points, investigate how to eliminate them, and design solutions for them. On the other hand User Interface Design is important because it can make or break your customer base. It creates fewer problems, increases user involvement, perfects functionality and creates a strong link between your customers and your website. for more information, you can learn from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience_design
https://www.zapbuild.com/bitsntricks/most-common-ux-design-methods-and-techniques/