Trick for new coders

So, I’m only on my 12th day of my 100 day challenge and am loving learning. Check my other posts to see my projects so far. Like most everyone, I’ve been using codepen to write my code and that was great, for a while. But, I found myself switching views A LOT to see how things were coming out. Anyway, I found it was getting in the way of writing code so, I wondered if there was a better way to write code on my pc locally, rather than online. Of course, we all learned on day one that we could write code it Notepad so, the options for writing code are unlimited. The best free solution, for me, I found was Notepad++ https://notepad.software/. It has some useful tools just like code pen for writing code quickly. But, the I was having to load my code to code pen if I wanted to make on the fly changes and see them happen in real time. Now, I’m sure there are a bunch of programs and app like codepen that you can run local but, the last thing I need when trying to learn a computer language is to have to spend a few days learning a piece of software first. That said, I could obviously minimize my editor and load the page in my browser. Once again, inefficient. I wanted to see my changes in real time.

Then I thought about the solution. I write my code on my desktop. I have an old laptop on that same network that I use to watch youtube and listen to pandora. So, my solution was to use Notepad++ with an autosave feature. I saves every 30seconds. Then I gave access to the folder with my html to my other pc on my network. I went to that folder on my laptop. I loaded the page in my browser and it obviously came right up.

The next step was, since my code was now autosaving every minute, I need the browser(chrome) on my laptop to refresh to keep the page I’m viewing current with the code I’m writing. To do that, and basically give myself “liveview” like codepen pro, I used EasyAutoRefresh(Extension Play store) for chrome to reload the page every 30 second, just like my code. So, now I’m writing code on my desktop, and it appears on my laptop within 30seconds. You can change the speed if that’s too slow for you.

If this sounds like a good idea and you need some help setting it up, let me know. Happy coding!
#100DaysofCode