Trying to land a job review my personal portfoilo site

Trying to land a job review my personal portfoilo site

Here is my personal site https://jamatty.000webhostapp.com/index.php there is also a link to download my resume on my site if you could have a look at that too that would be nice.

It seems that you’re a little early in the journey to be applying for jobs. I would recommend continuing the learning journey and going to as many in-person local networking events as you can fit in. Those connections will provide you mentoring and an in once your skills match your stated goals.

Hey Jesse
Your Java programs are pretty impressive! I am guessing that is where you have the most experience. If i had to critique the design of your website, i would recommend:

Changing the font
Using flexbox or similar to make the website responsive
Make your links open in a new tab
Use complimentary colors to make the site more engaging.

I learnt these skills with FCC’s Responsive Web Design certification, and while I am still a beginner, this page is an example of what you can create:

Its always worth looking at other people’s portfolio and resume site to see what designs others use and how they present their information.

Good Luck with the job hunt!

Why do think I’m early to be applying for jobs? I live in the middle of nowhere northwest Florida the closest in person meet ups are over 4 hours away from me. So I can’t do anything in person.

I guess bootstrap is not loading properly…

But apart from that, it’s a very poor design. Blue on Blue on Blue. Developer Job is a creative job. If you apply with a website like so, nobody will take you serious

Sorry, I’ve seen a lot of people post their portfolios and say “I am a full stack developer” or the like for their portfolio project and it looks a lot like yours, even though they are really aspiring to that level. If you want the full critique:

1. Best Foot Forward
    – Namespace is important. Sending potential employers to 000webhost sends a bad signal. GitHub pages is free, so that’s an option.
    – I would doubt the “full-stack” credentials of someone who didn’t at least set up their own droplet and full stack.
    – You don’t use the front end technologies in which you claim to be proficient on your own personal site. I wouldn’t recommend using all of them, but at least one stack.
    – Spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere.
    – If this is part of your job application, the “about me” is unprofessional. You can communicate the laid back/keeping it real attitude without talking about the field or its salaries. Drop the “middle of nowhere,” keep the willing to travel/relocate.

2. Style
    – The page looks like it came from the late 90’s. I half expected there to be an image map that let me click through the technologies.

3. UX
    – Once you click away from the home page, there isn’t even a way to get back to the index page.
    – no navmenus
    – No responsive web design / only fixed width layout

4. Resume
    – Tighten that up: It is way too long. See some examples online
    – Take out irrelevant experience
    – Drop the GPA. Sub-3 doesn’t help you, and even if it is 4.0, nobody cares unless this is your first job out of college and trained in that field.

Don’t mean to sound harsh. Your Github profile is your strongest asset, and even that is a mixed blessing. Like a credit score, it can be gamed, but a frequent commit history is valued, from what I hear. Others will have advice, too, but that’s mine. Best of luck!

I’m nobody to give any recommendations, but if you can take anything from me, I’d suggest the following:

Take a design already made that you love. Try to code it for large screens as well as for smaller ones. Once you finished, try again with another design that you want. And a try again.

Once you have some experience building “real projects” from professional designs, you’ll improve your vision on how a web design is made. Then, try to do your own design, getting the things you like the most from other designs and try to code your portfolio.

I’m telling you because it looks like graphic design is not your strongest suit. Nothing bad about that, but people want to see pretty things and the first thing they’re going to see in your portfolio is the graphic design. I think it’s better to replicate another one’s good design with your own code than making a not so good design and code of your own. After all, you’re applying for a coding interview, not a graphic or UI designer, right?

Hope it helps.