Unmet dependencies errors updating kubuntu 18

Hello,

I made silly error of installing Opera 386 version in my kubuntu 18.04(64bit) and next I got errors:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 opera-stable:i386 : PreDepends: apt-transport-https:i386
                     Recommends: pepperflashplugin-nonfree:i386 but it is not installable
                     Recommends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra:i386 but it is not installed
 slimjet : Depends: libcurl3 but it is not installed or
                    libcurl4 but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I tried to remove this package by :

# sudo apt-get remove  opera-stable:i386
Reading package lists... Done                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Reading state information... Done                                                                                                                                                                                                            
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.                                                                                                                                                                           
The following packages have unmet dependencies:                                                                                                                                                                                              
 slimjet : Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed or                                                                                                                                                                          
                    libcurl4 but it is not going to be installed                                                                                                                                                                             
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I am not sure if
apt --fix-broken install
is a safe way to fix it… How to fix these errors correctly ?

$ lsb_release -d; uname -r; uname -i
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
4.15.0-58-generic
x86_64

Thanks!

Hello!

I know this is old and you may already have an answer, but I’ll respond in case it helps anyone else.

Most of the time, yes, it’s safe. In this case it just needs to install a library, so it’s safe to run apt --fix-broken install.

You should not run the command when a dependency is breaking other packages, though I’d say that apt is smart enough as to not suggest the command when dependencies are conflicting with other packages (or it will fail if you try).

I hope this helps someone :slight_smile:,

Regards!

1 Like