I’m not suggesting you use or edit templates, I’m suggesting you try various things out. The only way to create awesome looking sites is if you try to implement awesome looking sites. If you find a sick template, try to create a site that looks like it without using their code. Then you made it yourself, and you can be proud about it! Now, you can compare your code to theirs and see what they possibly did that you can improve upon. Its good that you don’t feel like its really yours! Keep trying, and you can implement a sick site that is yours!
As an example. I like the way GitHub Pages design looks (https://pages.github.com/). Now, instead of using a template or copy the source directly from chrome, I will do this:
- I like the jumbotron that takes up 60% of screen height on desktop with a picture on the bottom middle.
- I like the color scheme.
- I like the animated info panels that come up when I go down the site.
Now, I will try to create my own site that looks like it. My steps would be as follows:
- I will use bootstrap, because I can easily make things centered, responsive, and I can have a nice row system at the bottom.
- I will use WOW.js to create the cool animations
- I will start work on the jumbotron at the top, by making a div that takes up 60% of height, has a dark background color, and has a centered, responsive, and transparent picture at the bottom.
- I will create a container after the jumbotron with a light gray background.
- In this container I will make a class that has a white background, medium-gray border, and some padding to keep elements away from the sides a bit. Some margin on top for spacing would be good too.
- I will create a row system at the bottom with icons from fontawesome.
- I will open up the site I am inspired by in Chrome dev tools, to see how they did the layout, what css props they used, and the exact colors.
- I will go from there and customize for my own tastes and likings.
That’s just an example of how you could go about creating a cool site that you made 100% by yourself, and can be proud of!