Various Suggestions

Various Suggestions

I had heard about FCC late last year but I put off joining because of the new release, which I’ve decided not to wait for. I heard good things, of course! Heck, if Flatiron would promote itself while doing a review of your site, that says a lot for FCC, don’t you think?

BTW, I really do like FCC so far! Code School bores me with overly long videos that should’ve (and could’ve) been broken down into smaller videos followed by 1-3 challenges, rinse and repeat. Although I’d like to see short (1-2 minutes) videos, especially since some people need that kind of information presentation, I can live without it when presented the way it is here. Thanks!

Rather than doing what I did yesterday - make separate posts for each issue I noted and running out of my allotted number of posts, then having to wait 24 hours from the time I hit my quota, I’m putting all this into one message.

Sorry if that causes trouble, and I hope my input helps.

That leads me to the feedback:

Posting Limit alert
"You’ve reached the maximum number of topics a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 2 hours before trying again."

This isn’t true. It isn’t the “first day” but the “first 24 hours”. :wink: I reached my limit last night and was told to wait til today. At 7:15 AM, I attempted to post my remaining new topics from yesterday and got this message. :rain:

Mini-Projects suggestion
Although the exercises progress, there is repetition and you get to see an application improve along the way, giving a sense of ownership (and that all is sorely lacking in many of the sites I’ve tried), it would be nice if every section tied things together with a smaller project so we can “flex our mental muscles” and cement what we’ve learned into memory. I realize that this would be months down the road to implement and, in the meantime, students should apply what they’re learning as they go along.

Links suggestion
I have not noticed any links to FCC videos, articles or even external sources (like W3C and MDN, to name 2 of many!) so far (I’m on #87 for front-end). Having links to these things can make FCC more valuable.

Lorum Ipsum Text suggestion :wink:
THANK YOU for getting rid of that atrocious text and putting in the kitty text. :heart_eyes_cat: I sense, however, that dog lovers are jealous (I love both), so can you put in some doggy text, too? :wink: Yes, I know, it’s frivolous…:sunny: :dog:

Ex 17: Import a Google Font
Perhaps I missed it, but I don’t recall that you stated that declarations within a style’s attribute statement have to have the comma delimiter between them. :confused:

Ex 19: Add Images to your Website
It requires an alt attribute, but it does NOT specify what the text should be. I tried “upside-down kitty” and that was not accepted. I had to use the title of the photo, which should have been specified in the instructions, but all it says is that there must be an alt attribute.

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

Posting Limit alert => fCC uses Discourse for this forum, so no sure we can change the wording of this message. Anyway, I don’t think this is too much of an inconvenience.

Mini-Projecst suggestion => I agree that it would be nice to have more small projects. I believe the beta does have more projects in the Responsive Web Design (basic HTML and CSS) section.

Links suggestion => Linking to resources with extra information would be nice. I don’t think linking to the documentation (MDN) is necessary for the first challenges, since they tell you what to do. The algorithm challenges do have links to MDN, because you have to figure out what to do yourself.

Add Images to your website => Please note that the challenges are not numbered. You should be able to enter whatever you want for the alt attribute. It seems that it does not work when it includes a -.

It’s not a big deal, but it is confusing to log back on with stuff to post from the previous day, and still not being allowed to.

Hopefully, that is fully developed in the new release.

The point of adding links is to make FCC more value-added.

In addition, FCC fairly FLIES through HTML and CSS, so it’s not like you’re getting a good grounding in how to use them. Adding links to the early section points new students at valuable resources that they can explore from the get-go, instead of having to search on their own without knowing what to look for, or which sites are best. Will they know to look for HTML and CSS validator tools? Will they find CSS Tricks? Will it occur to them to search for other resources that are valuable but unknown because the imagination of all the programmers developing this stuff exceeds the imagination of any one searcher?

I don’t see that HTML is covered more thoroughly down the road, unless it is far, far, far away. JS (and jQuery) is given a great deal of attention but, then, JS is such an obnoxiously obfuscated language that it REQUIRES a lot of explanation.

Where are tables? Flexbox? SVG? Animations? Numerous other things that aren’t covered could at least be linked to.

Actually, they are numbered. I am on 97 right now.

You completely missed the point of my last two entries, it seems.

Ex 17 should explain the need for commas between attributes of a style declaration.

Ex 19 requires that you use the title of the photo (without hyphens) for the alt, but fails to state this.

I guess this stuff isn’t too important anymore, what with the new version up for release any day (week? month?) now. :slight_smile:

I didn’t respond this point, because I am not sure what you mean. Where would you need commas?

No it does not. Try using alt="test", that passes the test for me. It seems that for whatever reason you can’t include a hyphen in the alt attribute.

Thanks @BenGitter, you just taught me about Brownie Points!

font-family: Monospace, Lobster;

There is a comma for font-family (and other delimited things).

How very odd that hyphens wouldn’t be allowed. They should be.

Ah I see. Not sure if it is taught in another challenge, but you don’t need it for this challenge. Your p should still use Monospace and the h2 the Lobster:

p {
    font-size: 16px;
    font-family: Monospace;
}
h2 {
    font-family: Lobster
}

They should. Must be an error somewhere.

I realize that. It should be taught regardless, especially since it’s demonstrated in <p>.

This feature is in place to prevent new users from possibly spamming/trolling on the forum. You are now a basic user, so all these restrictions are removed. You can see more about that here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/4.

Where? p only has the Monospace font-family.

p {
    font-size: 16px;
    font-family: Monospace, Lobster;
  }

That’s what is on my screen. h2 only has lobster, as that is the goal of the exercise.

The comma separating the fonts is taught in the challenge shown below, but this knowledge is not needed to pass the Import a Google Font challenge.

Yes, that is true but, again, it is not stated directly. It is only shown via the example, as with the exercise I chose to mention this. :slight_smile:

Is it still there when you click “Reset your code”?

Oddly enough, no. Is this another …ummm…thing like the hyphen?