Visual Studio Code Review

The Node.JS debugging is amazing IMO with VS Studio code. I threw out my WebStorm which is crazy. I also am using less memory with Visual Studio Code!!!

Thumbs up!

Another thumbs up for VS Code. I have my students use it in a coding class I teach. I don’t make it mandatory, but when the hold-outs see what it can do they tend to convert over pretty fast.

I totally agree! I am lovin’ it .But the only thing I don’t like it when Intellisense is giving hint and you are typig and it covers your text, I have to press ‘esc’ key and then continue. Also one thing I likes ctr+shift+d feature in sublime to duplicate the line, which I am unable to find it in this.

I love VS Code, it’s easy for beginners and useful for more advanced users.

You mean in editor?
ctrl +
ctrl -
are working for me.

1 Like

well since there are two + keys on my keyboard may be I am pressing the wrong one

I am using vscode and I have noticed that it doesn’t show autocomplete/intellisense for imported modules. Say for example I made module named colour which has 2 methods say red and blue.
Now I imported this colour module in mu main file by var colour = require('colour').
Now when I type colour. , it should show me red, blue . But by default it doesn’t have this feature. I have seen in some tutorials this feature been available in atom. Does anybody know how to avail this feature in Visual Studuo code?

A few days ago I switched from sublime text to VS Code. For over a decade I have been one of MS harshest critics. They produced a gem with VS Code!

:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️ the built in terminal!!! There was a package a few years ago for ST3 to add a terminal. It wasn’t polished and I did not use it much.

Hello campers.I decided to learn VS Code after hearing positive testimonies from every camper who had used it.

However,after downloading it to my laptop,I can't seem to figure out where to go to code immediately.It keeps telling me that I have not opened a folder.

Can someone out there instruct me on how to set the 3 subdivisions for HTML,CSS and Javascript so I can start coding immediately and gradually learn the other features?Thanks.

@rugano Did you download the full Visual Studio IDE instead of the VS Code text editor? I did that at first and was very confused for 30 minutes until I watched a youtube tutorial. Then I realized Visual Studio != VS Code.

Under the view menu choose split editor then select it again.That creates 3 windows like codepen has.

These videos from @ihatetomatoes (Petr) were helpful.

Thank you @jastuccio.

The feature that I like the most is the built in terminal which is really nice also the IntelliSense is really handy as well. Go VSCode!!

I enjoy this IDE very much. It has all the features that I like to use

1. built in terminal - I like using the terminal for almost anything including file management. I always have the sidebar closed because I do almost anything from there if I’m not editing.
  2. key shortcuts - very customizable including switching between the terminal and the editor.
  3. built in Emmet
  4. Git and Git Bash integration using the terminal as well.
  5. Custom theme - because it is nice editing when you like your editor aesthetics.
  6. Extensions - I currently have Dart and Rust besides the built in languages it supports. Also Live Server and TabOut - a simple extension but I find very useful.
1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: VS Code with Code Runner Not Working

*A great & detailed review , seriously its going to be a game changer for me *
but if you ask my choice vs code for editor

Thank you so much

Happy Coding !

1 Like

@ Faizahmadfaiz It does for me but I have installed a bunch of extensions. Try out the React Extension Pack and/or the React Native - Full Pack wich includes plug-ins that should do what you are missing
/Jakob