We just launched Developer News. Here's how you can use it

We just launched Developer News. Here's how you can use it

I love the new platform. Even before the paywall my experience was detracted by the static header and footer on Medium. The new platform is a massive improvement and the fact that it’s open-source is fantastic for all the usual reasons. Thanks to everyone involved!

1 Like

Thanks. We have fixed this article so it’s no longer incomplete.

2 Likes

Hey - it’s nice to have you back here on the forum.

Yes - we have really powerful search (Algolia) but we haven’t updated the index yet. We should have a search bar in the navigation soon.

We had to temporarily turn off our infinite scroll so because it was hammering our servers, but we’ll turn it back on AAP.

2 Likes

The sad truth is that a YouTube replacement would be very hard. I’ve looked at decentralized options and they are a lot slower still.

Paying for half a million hours per month of HD video would take up almost all of freeCodeCamp’s current budget.

We will continue to evaluate options going forward, but for now, YouTube is here to stay.

4 Likes

Hi @QuincyLarson, I messaged you on Gitter about the Gatsby version of freeCodeCamp News. I am just messaging you here as well in case you missed the message on Gitter.

2 Likes

Hey @QuincyLarson - please could you give me author access for my articles

I filled out the form a couple of days ago

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @ryanwhocodes, we are optimizing the pagination for news and we will ship it soon.

1 Like

@QuincyLarson I recently submitted my draft to [email protected], ( May 29th ). Do I need to re-submit the draft or publish it myself on the new platform?

I’m grateful for this improvement! :slight_smile: I found Medium bothersome with his limited access. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi Quincy,

Github gist links are not working on my articles.

Can I have an access so I can fix them myself?

Here is my medium account - https://medium.com/@ekapope.v
(I have already filled up FCC writer form.)

Best,
Ekapope V.

1 Like

@QuincyLarson Thanks for moving. The thing that could be missing here is the stats and comments of my stories. Will I be able to view my stats? And Also could I be able to edit my stories? I have filled out the form for News Author.

Hi!

I just noticed I asked pretty much the same question as you, did you get any update/find out something more about this?

I still haven’t heard anything, I submitted two articles a month or so ago and also filled in the author form some time ago. Just thought maybe you’d know more about what’s going on? :smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the update.

1 Like

Nice to be back @QuincyLarson.
I totally understand and I really appreciate all the hard work it takes to develop such an application. I’d love to start helping out when I have some free time.

Cheers: champagne:

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten an answer just yet or a response to my application to be a writer on the new platform.

I submitted 2 articles before I knew the move was coming and was curious about resubmitting them or if they were published here. If I get a response I’ll definitely share it. Let me know if you get one as well :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey team, any hopes for an API or RSS feed for the new site? Medium offered RSS feeds to keep up to date with articles.

1 Like

There’s an RSS feed, here it is: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/rss/
I don’t think there’s an API though.

2 Likes

We are actively working to index all of these articles and add search to the freeCodeCamp News nav bar. It’s coming soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome back, Federico! Yes - I will feature out 5 of these freeCodeCamp News articles each week in my “5 links worth your time” email.

1 Like

Yes - I’m sending you a direct message here on the forum so you and I can set up a Google Hangout so we can fix these together.