We just launched Developer News. Here's how you can use it

Good move! I’ve written a few articles for freecodecamp on Medium, and I immediately signed up for freecodecamp news. It’s nice to see that writers will have a much better experience and will be able to have more control over articles thanks to Ghost.

One question: will freecodecamp news have LaTeX support (either through KaTeX, MathJax, or maybe something else)? That was a big dealbreaker on Medium for me.

There are a lot of fields like data science, machine learning, NLP, etc. where the equations are essential. I think it would be amazing to have support for more of these math-heavy articles.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a search function as of now. Is this something you’re working on, or am I just missing it?

4 Likes

Thank you for keeping education free and not giving into Medium’s paywall :blue_heart:

6 Likes

Hi @QuincyLarson , my article has been cross posted here too! My article lost some formatting in the move, and I would have loved to be able to fix the issues before this went live. Now, I see that there is a form to fill out to get write access to my content, but I would really like to clarify that my content is mine, in filling out this form.

I really support the work you are doing with freeCodeCamp, but I feel as though moving our content as writers without asking was a break of trust. Can you please explain why the writers were not given advance notice of this move or an option to opt out?

I would love to work with freeCodeCamp and this community, but I can’t feel comfortable doing so without understanding why the writers were not given a voice and whether my content belongs to me.

Thank you.

4 Likes

I hope more follow your lead. Yours were the only articles I would use Medium for. Otherwise I would find something else to read.

2 Likes

My answer to the recently introduced paywall practice by Medium - Let us face it, paywall model is outdated.https://link.medium.com/mknTFPrK9W

Better publishing models are known and working:

On twitter:

2 Likes

Wow, this platform is so much better than Medium!

3 Likes

I search for one article which was originally published on Medium with Free Code Camp under the paywall.

From Google I get this

But then, when I click on the link, I receive a 404 Page not Found message from Free Code Camp news.

Is it possible to fix this problem?

Thanks

1 Like

I started a trial at medium.com but did not plan on paying to read the articles. I am glad that user submitted information will be accessible to all.

2 Likes
  • Some of the articles end after just a few paragraphs. If you notice any of these articles, comment here and we can go in and fix their text.

“Let’s clear up the confusion around the slice( ), splice( ), & split( ) methods in JavaScript” (FCC News, Medium) seems to be one of these articles.

2 Likes

Thanks, @morbec. We’re working to fix the code rendering programmatically, though the GitHub Gist embeds will be slightly harder.

Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

@QuincyLarson

Hello, I am not able to edit the post that have been moved to /news

Please help

1 Like

I believe this repo is the codebase of /news: https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/news-theme

You can open an issue there, but if you’re unsure, I think opening an issue on the main repo should be okay.

1 Like

@QuincyLarson,

thanks for all the amazing work.
I was shocked to hear about the unfolding of FCC’s ties with Medium and I completely understand the decision you made.
I have filled out the form and am wondering, since I am seeing that at the moment, it is a rather manual process, when I would be granted access to my “News” account?

I understand there are a lot of people and for sure many priorities, but right now, I am blocked from my content.

3 Likes

I love the new platform. Even before the paywall my experience was detracted by the static header and footer on Medium. The new platform is a massive improvement and the fact that it’s open-source is fantastic for all the usual reasons. Thanks to everyone involved!

1 Like

Thanks. We have fixed this article so it’s no longer incomplete.

2 Likes

Hey - it’s nice to have you back here on the forum.

Yes - we have really powerful search (Algolia) but we haven’t updated the index yet. We should have a search bar in the navigation soon.

We had to temporarily turn off our infinite scroll so because it was hammering our servers, but we’ll turn it back on AAP.

2 Likes

The sad truth is that a YouTube replacement would be very hard. I’ve looked at decentralized options and they are a lot slower still.

Paying for half a million hours per month of HD video would take up almost all of freeCodeCamp’s current budget.

We will continue to evaluate options going forward, but for now, YouTube is here to stay.

4 Likes

Hi @QuincyLarson, I messaged you on Gitter about the Gatsby version of freeCodeCamp News. I am just messaging you here as well in case you missed the message on Gitter.

2 Likes

Hey @QuincyLarson - please could you give me author access for my articles

I filled out the form a couple of days ago

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @ryanwhocodes, we are optimizing the pagination for news and we will ship it soon.

1 Like