We just launched freeCodeCamp News. Here's how you can use it

We just launched freeCodeCamp News. Here's how you can use it

In short:

• The community now has its own open source publishing tool where you can write about anything you want the developer community to know about.
  • Your audience will be bigger than ever.
  • No more popups or sign-in prompts. Readers can enjoy your articles without any fuss.
  • The transition has been a long one, and we’re still fixing quite a few bugs.

A bit of history

In 2015, the freeCodeCamp community changed our blogging tool from Blogger to Medium.

Medium was a convenient tool for blogging, but the community has outgrown it. So now we’ve switched to a self-hosted open source blogging tool called Ghost.

Instead of publishing freeCodeCamp articles on our old medium.freecodecamp.org subdomain, we’re publishing them on our new www.freecodecamp.org/news/ subdirectory, which we’re calling freeCodeCamp News.

The freeCodeCamp team has been publishing articles in freeCodeCamp News for the past year, and we’re excited to now open it up to other authors in the freeCodeCamp community.

Here are some immediate benefits to you as an author:

Improvement #1: A cleaner, faster experience for your readers

According to Google’s own Lighthouse tool, freeCodeCamp News is significantly faster than Medium.

freeCodeCamp News is also more accessible, and more SEO-friendly.

And we’re steadily working to squeeze out even more optimizations.

Improvement #2: You have full control

You can publish your articles immediately. You can even schedule them to be published at a specific date and time.

If you want, our team of editors can provide you with a second pair of eyes, or help you write that perfect headline.

This is optional. If you’re in a hurry, you can also just click publish.

Improvement #3: Better Analytics

As an author, we’ll give you full access to the freeCodeCamp News Google Analytics data for your articles.

You can see exactly how many people are reading your articles, for how long, where in the world your readers are located, and how they’re discovering your articles. And you can do all this in real time.

Now you will be able to better understand your audience.

Improvement #4: A lot more readers

Our NGINX logs during a typical weekday morning. And yes - that is 2,816 people using freeCodeCamp all at the same time - more than half of whom were reading freeCodeCamp News at that moment.

freeCodeCamp News has better SEO, faster page loads, and a simpler user experience.

It also has Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) which means lightning fast page loads, even on a bad mobile connection.

There are no reader accounts. There are no prompts to “sign in” or to “pay to get around this paywall.”

All of these benefits together mean a better reading experience for your readers, and ultimately, more readers.

Improvement #5: You can share anything - not just articles

If you publish a podcast or run a YouTube channel - or even draw a webcomic - you can raise awareness of it by embedding it into freeCodeCamp News.

Improvement #6: You can write in any language you want

freeCodeCamp is a global community, and we welcome articles in whichever world language you want to write. We are working on landing pages for different languages so people can browse articles in their own native language.

Improvement #7: You can write using Markdown

You can also paste markdown files directly into freeCodeCamp News, and it will instantly turn them into rich text posts. This makes cross-posting articles from your blog much easier.

Improvement #8: Built-in Syntax Highlighting

Instead of having to embed GitHub gists or screenshots of your IDE, you can type in your programming language and freeCodeCamp News will add automatic syntax highlighting to your code snippet.

(Note that this feature doesn’t yet work on the AMP versions of articles.)

Frequently Asked Questions

I wrote one of these articles. How can I create an author account on freeCodeCamp News so I can go in and edit it?

All of the articles list their author at the top in a byline, but most of them are are not yet associated with an author account. We didn’t auto-create user accounts for authors because of privacy concerns.

If you’ve published articles on freeCodeCamp’s blog in the past, I can help you create an account, then give you full access to all of your articles and your analytics. You’ll be able to update canonical links, add updated links to your blog, and publish new articles as you see fit.

Just fill this out real quick and I’ll reach out to you about setting up a Google Hangout call.

I’ve never published on freeCodeCamp before. How can apply to get an author account?

We are selective. If you are creating helpful resources, and want to reach a bigger audience, fill out this quick 3-question form.

We will take a look and get back with you if we think you’re a good fit for freeCodeCamp News.

Will articles have comments sections?

Yes. Whenever someone comments on a freeCodeCamp News article, it will create a discussion thread here on the forum, and embed that thread at the end of the article. This way we can combine the simplicity of freeCodeCamp News with the robustness of the forum’s moderation tools, threading, and powerful Markdown-based editor.

We should have this feature live soon.

Will you show stats on articles - like how many times it has been viewed?

Yes. We are working on a way to make these data public. For now only authors can see these through Google Analytics.

I noticed a formatting error on freeCodeCamp News. How can I report it?

Some common issues we’re working on:

• multi-line code snippets may be split up into several single-line code snippets.
  • GitHub gists and other embeds may not show up yet. We may need to go through and fix these manually.
  • Some of the articles end after just a few paragraphs. If you notice any of these articles, comment here and we can go in and fix their text.

If you see anything else wrong, reply to this thread with a screenshot and a link to the article and we’ll start working to fix it.

Thanks, and happy coding!

108 Likes

This is wonderful. I’m looking forward to checking out the new platform!

9 Likes

Great news! This news makes me want to be a writer on freeCodeCamp news!

7 Likes

Very cool! The lighthouse metrics are impressive! Accessibility is looking awesome!! :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

We’d love to have you, Phillip. You and I have already talked a bit and I’m excited to get you involved. Fill this out and we can set a time for me to hop on and walk you through all the tools: https://freecodecamp.typeform.com/to/tKNT0S

3 Likes

Great news! Hate Medium with all the intrusive login popups, huge top and bottom bars and the whole paywall thing.

The only thing needs an urgent improve is the code snippet inside articles, one line only code is hard to read.

All the best!

6 Likes

Thanks! We’re working on fixing that as quickly as possible.

2 Likes

Great news, as a new member I’m pretty happy things have been consolidated here as I was considering joining Medium because of FCC, now I won’t need to :+1:

3 Likes

This is fantastic news! Medium’s been taking a lot of criticism lately and I think FCC could stand just fine on its own.

Congratulations @QuincyLarson! :raised_hands:t5:

3 Likes

Wow oh, thanks for this bravery moved, FCC has being of great help to me as an inspiration developer from Warri City Nigeria. I would love to start writing.

4 Likes

Thanks for your support, Jordan. And it’s great to have you back here on the forum. I’m glad you’re sticking with it and still pushing forward with your skills.

1 Like

Awesome job! :fire:

Really cool to see the community breaking free from Medium and developing this standalone platform. This, along with the shift of the study groups off of Facebook to the forum, I believe really helps to build the brand, platform, and community as a whole!

2 Likes

This article is incomplete, it would be great if you could fix it.
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/lets-create-an-intermediate-level-ruby-on-rails-application-d7c6e997c63f/

1 Like

Hi @QuincyLarson, exciting move!

I’d like to have access to my previous articles, as I’m sure most would. Is there a process for gaining access, or will you be contacting writers to arrange this?

2 Likes

Hey @JacksonBates I think you need to fill this form https://freecodecamp.typeform.com/to/tKNT0S and @QuincyLarson will arrange a call with you and walk you through the process.

You will also be able to re-map your articles to your own username.

3 Likes

@QuincyLarson Thanks, and congratulations! Can’t wait to submit my next article on freeCodeCamp News!!

2 Likes

Thanks for filling out the form. I just sent you an email. I’m looking forward to hopping on a call with you soon and helping fix any broken links.

2 Likes

Finally! One of my greatest gripe on Medium is the paywall and freeCodeCamp’s content is one of my largest reading list from it. Glad you took the move!

3 Likes

@QuincyLarson Just noticed that some of my articles on freeCodeCamp News are missing the Github gists too. I’ve filled the form, hoping that it gets sorted out! Also, is it possible to retain the same username that I use on the medium account?

Hi @QuincyLarson, I’m a bit upset of this change, I have few articles on the FCC medium publication and they have been moved to this new platform without my knowledge and agreement. That would have been nice to have a heads up :confused: How long we will need to wait to get access to our articles if I want to edit them?

Thanks