What are upcoming projects you guys are building?

Hi everyone! What are some of upcoming or current projects that everyone is building over the upcoming weekend? For me, I’m fiddling my way through a Facebook clone, using the MERN stack. I would love to know what other cool projects or ideas that everyone is doing.

1 Like

I’ve been slowly moving through an Angular+Nestjs stack app. I used it as a test bed for building a fullstack TS application using the the same tooling for both the front-end and back-end. So far so good, I have the ability to share code/logic/models between the client and server during building :slight_smile:

Progress has gotten slower mainly due to me being lazy, but things are still moving along :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been working on my personal website/portfolio using React. When I’ll finish the frontend, I’ll move to do something with the backend in PHP. Rather than using MySQL, I’ll try PostgreSQL.

I’m also taking part in a “Hackathon” challenge where a group from the CS faculty has to collaborate with a group from the Economy faculty to build an ICT system for a fictional company to share and pass certain kinds of information across the business hierarchy.
We are supposed to use cakephp as a framework and it’ll be the first time any of us will use it.

1 Like

Well, I am currently working on my personal portfolio, but rather have that as a leisure project that I complete over time.

Moreover, I SUCK at back-end… more like have very little experience with web API’s, web sockets, MERN, databases, and more.

I have been introduced recently to angular… which I have found AMAZING! :sweat_smile:
I am working on a simple Tic-Tac-Toe project which I hope to expand to online and local multiplayer. I find it challenging, especially due to servicing and RxJS but enjoying the challenge. :wink:

Awesome! I was actually looking into learning NestJS for future projects, is it pretty straightforward to use?

Nice! Sounds like it’ll be a nice learning experience, especially using something that is unfamiliar to everyone. I need to participate in some Hackathons myself, to push me out of my comfort zone :sweat:

Keep at it! I had to redo my portfolio so many times, the more that I learned new things. This is actually my first time building the backend myself, so I’m pretty much a newbie at that as well haha.

Are you already utilizing Angular for your portfolio and the Tic-Tac-Toe game?

Nestjs is still pretty new, but it has pretty good support and its core use-case (architecture for a nodejs web app) is pretty rock solid.

So far I’ve found nestjs to be pretty easy to get going and “hack into” if need be. If you ever wanted to build an express app but didn’t know how to organize the code, nestjs can solve that problem for you, while at the same time providing a lot of cool features you might need for more complex use-cases :slight_smile:

So I am using angular for the Tic-Tac-Toe game and for the portfolio… using a self-created CSS methodology with SCSS to organize my project.

That’s good to know, I just got done building the api out with express and mongoose, organization is definitely something to worry about, but so far just taking the MVC approach and that seems to do pretty well.

Nextjs is something I will be looking into the future.

1 Like

Nice! SCSS is a godsend for organizing your css, so are you using the BEM approach convention when creating your class names?

1 Like

Yes exactly, if you want to know more, here is the GitHub repository. The README file has further information.

I’m working in the Product Landing Page Project the third for the Responsive Web Design Certification.

Awesome! How’s that going for you so far? Would love to see it once you’re done.

I’ll be sure to check that out! Although I’m not used to Angular, should be a nice little dive for me.