Halo

​Tomb Raider

Gears of War

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Project Gotham

Sonic the Hedgehog

Mario

Crash

I do MMA and study Japanese mainly through using Memrise and reading the Easy NHK news.

Although it may be stereotypical, I think most programmers are gamers in one way or the other. Well, I play The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell…Majorly RPG that involves magic and stuff like that. :mage:
I also enjoy mystery books and psychology.

1 Like

Books, movies, and games. Lately, I’ve been reading an illustrated guide to fairies and playing/modding Morrowind (had to learn TESScript). The last thing I watched was Anastasia (1997). I like walking in the woods when I have someone to go with.

1 Like

I used to play video games but nowadays play games you can dip in an out of like football manager games & fantasy football. Games are great but they take up so much time. I sometimes watch YouTubers doing game walkthroughs instead!
My friends have just started a Board games night. Much more fun. Poker I prefer playing face to face too.

For fun I go dancing, photography and cycling. I just started volunteering for a cycling charity which manages the UK cycle network.:biking_man:

2 Likes

I don’t have a lot of free time, I try to keep my daughter away from screens in a healthy way so there’s a strict “no television or games from 9 to 5” rule. So daytime is usually playing with her, coding or going outside.
In the evening I like watching Netflix or gaming. My girlfriend likes to watch me play The Witcher 3, and when she’s off to bed it’s Battlefield 1, with a surround sound headset it’s such an awesome game!

Since a few months I get together with some friends once a month and we play Dungeons & Dragons, it’s really cool.

1 Like

Lifting weights & running, playing video games (such a classic among us, haha), playing basketball, travelling. My main ones, I think.

I like to read (comics + fiction + poetry, mostly) write, listen to podcasts like MBMBAM and The Adventure Zone, go on long walks around my neighborhood, and visit family and friends out-of-state. I used to love MMORPGs but haven’t been into them or any other games since City of Heroes shut down in 2012.

Video games, drawing, writing and reading comic books or manga

Video games, soccer and listen to audio books. A game I think would do well with people here is “factorio”. It’s kind of programmatic. Also, and I don’t know how good it is as I’m only starting, I found a course on building your own virtual computer from logical gates up which I think others might like the idea of https://www.coursera.org/learn/build-a-computer/home

1 Like

Year round: reading, music listening and discovering, laying down grooves on my bass guitar, playing online chess, listening to podcasts, working out (cardio and free weights), having pints at pubs with friends, watching movies/stand up/scripted quality tv shows, long contemplative walks at night

Summer only: biking, staring at campfires, swimming in the lake, staring at the lake with a cold drink

1 Like

Between teaching full time, lifting weights, and coding, I spend most of my down time playing Magic: Arena. Unfortunately, I end up thinking just as hard about the game as I do when I’m coding haha. It’s a bit intense.

Jogging and swimming.
Other than that sometimes I read books.

I also often play online games and sit in video chat rooms

I do game now and again, but more into sc-fi, yoga, classical guitar, kayak or paddleboarding, zendoodling…

Yeah, i’m random.

Best tech job ever? Lunch was catered in three days a week, we had a Wii bowling tournament every week, fridge was stocked with Sam Adams… And still, I went to work because I loved what we were doing.

If you follow your passion and do what you love, you never have to work a day in your life. My passions are coding and giving people “AHA!!” moments. This stuff we do here? This is how i relax.

I am coding for fun as my main occupation isnstudying chemistry at uni, but I enjoy reading, gaming (video games, table top games, trying to set up an RPG party…), and crocheting

One thing I also spend a lot of time on is learning, be that personal growth books, psychology, or my favourite: environmental studies (I will go through all of the courses that are now in coursera!)

Good to see a lot of other developers have almost exactly the same interests XD (ie. video games, weightlifting, music, personal development). Seems like I chose the right industry!

I’ve been playing Go (the board game) on and off for about fifteen years. More off than on, but lately I have been a little more focused on it and it gets a good chunk of my recreation time. Other than Go, I devour both fiction and non-fiction, and I occasionally make embarrassing noise with ukuleles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice question!
While coding is great thing that can change your career in a good direction, balancing it with other activities makes it enjoyable.

I read a lot and most of my books are not tech related till this year.
I read a new non fiction book every week and a technical book every month and do my best to finish them. My non fiction books are all hard copies as I like flipping pages while my technical books are all soft copies just in case I have to test a piece of code I’m ready with the computer.
What happens when I can’t finish the non fiction book that week? It doesn’t go to the shelf. I leave it on my living room table till it is completed. I currently have three books on the table as I write this reply.

Beside reading I go to the museum every two weeks to see how people use their imagination to create beautiful things from a blank canvas. It works the same with programming. We create beautiful things from blank code editors.

Beside reading and going to the museum I go for gun shooting once a month. I’m not a pro or anti gun person but wanted to know how to use one. Just in case you’re wondering, I don’t own a gun.

Beside reading, going to the museum, going for gun shooting, I hit the gym everyday in the morning except on Sunday. That helps me to feel confident during the day and feel energized. The more I put my body into mental toughness the more I’m ready to handle challenges that come my way.

Beside reading, going to the museum, going for gun shooting, hitting the gym, I code again.
After being off FreeCodeCamp for two years, I’m planning to complete the curriculum this year so that I can add non profit projects to part of the fun stuff I do.

I think it’s interesting how many coders are into weight lifting and fitness :slightly_smiling_face: It’s understandable, after a couple of hours staring at a screen all I want to do is move lol

Other than gettin’ swole, I like to write (mostly comics) and cook and zen out by doing repetitive mindless stuff like knitting or mobile tap games. I’ve also really gotten into sudoku lately in the hopes that it’ll help my math brain when I start getting into the heavier stuff on FCC