What do you usually do when you are not coding?

Hey guys

I just wanted to know what do you usually do when you aren’t behind the desk.

For me it is running, playing chess, reading, writing and listening to beautiful musics

1 Like

Gym, sleep and cafes/bars with friends.

2 Likes

World of Tanks! http://worldoftanks.com/
And waiting for Overwatch from Blizzard: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/

And if not coding or playing, I am working :wink: Doing this as career change, so can’t put full day into coding. :disappointed:

2 Likes

One of the best things I’ve ever done is put myself on a strict schedule throughout the weekday. It’s increased my health, productivity, and surprisingly my ability to retain concepts and learn new things.

6:00AM - 7:00AM - Wake Up > Run/Exercise
7:00AM - 7:15AM - Breakfast
7:15AM - 7:45AM - Shower > Get Dressed
7:45AM - 8:00AM - Sit In My Reading Chair and Contemplate The Day
8:00AM - 9:00AM - Drive to Work
9:00AM - 9:30AM - Check Work Email, Answer Work Email, Add Tasks To Calendar
9:30AM - 9:40AM - Daily Stand-Up, SCRUM Meeting
9:40AM - 11:30AM - Mostly meetings, Do Work If Possible, Gathering Prerequisite Information For Work Tasks
11:30AM - 12:00PM - Lunch
12:00PM - 12:30PM - Walk the Riverfront
12:30PM - 4:30PM - Actually Finally Doing Work
4:30PM - 5:00PM - Afternoon Snack, Sitting and Thinking
5:00PM - 5:30PM - Checking Work Email, Answer Work Email, Add Tasks To Calendar
5:30PM - 6:00PM - Finalizing Any Development Done, Merging Code, General Code Maintenance
6:00PM - 7:00PM - Drive Home
7:00PM - 8:00PM - Dinner > Time With Family
8:00PM - 10:00PM - Studying (whatever subject I’m into, such as FCC)
10:00PM - 11:00PM - Read in my Reading Chair
11:00PM - 6:00AM - Sleep

Obviously, I have more free time during the weekend to spend time with my family, help my children with any school work or projects, do any household projects around the house, study, work, etc.

15 Likes

Nice schedule… it’s always difficult for me to stay on schedule. :neutral_face:

I used to be horrible with it. I didn’t exercise, would study constantly, wouldn’t wake up until the last minute, never got enough sleep.

I started adding things as I went along. First I decided on an 11:00PM bedtime and 6:00AM wakeup time, every weekday. This alone was a great addition. Then I started exercising more, and taking time to sit and think.

Sitting and just thinking is really looked down upon in the United States. It looks as though you’re doing absolutely nothing, when you should be doing something. However, as an intellectual and professional - sitting and just contemplating life/work tasks/etc. is one of the most powerful things I’ve found you can do. It gives your brain a much needed rest from the monotonous tasks in your life, and also allows you to regather your thoughts throughout the day.

5 Likes

I work a lot at my lame day job, 40 - 50 - 60 hours a week depending on the workload, but I’m grateful to have a job, it just doesn’t interest me. Which makes it more agonizing to be there.

I go to the nursing home to visit my father a lot, as well. :disappointed:

I love to go the beach on the weekends! Its very peaceful for me there.

At the moment, I have very little time to learn how to code, but I will have much more time in the future and I believe that!

2 Likes

@christophercodin I have tried the schedule thing so many times, at the moment, it’s just not for me.

Firstly, my job has so many influences on it because I never know what time I going to finish at my job and I can’t leave until the job is done. So, that puts a big dent in the idea but I deal with it.
Secondly, something always comes up, day by day, and it makes it more harder to concentrate and focus on the things I want to do. It’s very stressful, but I will not give up!

This is what I do at the beach on the weekends and it helps me get through life! If you know, what I mean. :relaxed:

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

Sand Volleyball and Family when not coding/working.

2 Likes

Learning to play bass guitar.

2 Likes

View twitch streams, facebook, youtube, tv and beer, go out, run, reading books and blogs.

1 Like

I like to read so I read, study my online courses (I have some of them), go to walk and clear my mind. Since I work in social media management, I really like to be offline.

1 Like

just watching some series movie
eating, playing some team sports

1 Like

youtubing, reddit, other unproductive things :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I’m not coding it’s because I’m studying, reading a book, meeting with friends.

1 Like

Playing ping pong :wink:

3 Likes

I am usually finishing up my last few classes of my college life. (3 more and I’m done)
I’m actually a content creator so I make YouTube videos, audio stuff and writing I also enjoy cooking for my family and binge Netflix shows. I spend my nights working, for now at least until i get a career.

1 Like

Great! This is what I’m in the process of learning and a few other things like Photoshop and Illustrator CS6. I will learn all of that before I get knee deep into coding.

1 Like

eating, sleeping, watching TV, then… eating, sleeping, watching TV, then… you guessed it!

1 Like

Nice! Great resource to have is how to shoot video that doesn’t suck.

1 Like