What IDE/Editor do you use?

Was being a bit curious what IDE/Editor do you guys use for developing Python apps and why?
I have tried out PyCharm recently but it does seem to have some limitations with the community version.

2 Likes

I’m not a python dev, but one thing I know is PyCharm is based on Intellij which is so slow in heart.

Eclipse is also based on java(unfortunately), but it’s free and much faster than Intellij. I believe it should have some plugin for python devs too.

Try some IDEs, and find the one you like(no matter what is this, if it works for you, it’s the one for you, even that PyCharm). But I suggest try IDEs are native(not based on java like NetBeans, etc…)

If you are in MacOS, Xcode is the only fast IDE I even tried. it’s also free.

Hi @Quickz. I’m also not a Python developer, unfortunately so curious to hear what others say.

I use Microsoft VSCode, which has been wonderful for developing with JavaScript applications. Also has an amazing developer experience and plugin community.

When I was working in Python I didn’t need a full IDE (and had some weird environment stuff going on) so I mostly used vi. I am a big fan of JetBrains though, so if I was building an application in Python then PyCharm would be my go-to.

I use VS code.

I’ve tried many others like atom, sublime, Visual Studio and others and vs code is not only fast and stable but highly customizable.

I’m just learning python but compared to other tools I feel most comfortable with VS code. Maybe that will change when I get more experience.

I believe PyCharm is one of the most used environments.

i use Brackets , its a good open source IDE , wich you can install some good plugins !
try it !:smiley::smiley::smiley:

I use visual studio code

Hi, I new to Python. I am using Python 3.6. I am using anaconda IDE and Jupiter for python code.

I really like Pycharm It has many shortcuts and is very user friendly, i guess it may be a bit slow but i also use Intelli-J for programing Java and web-storm for HTML so its nice to have the same user interface for all of them. the other thing is that it is easy to install third party libraries with Pycharm that is super helpful for the newer user.
that’s just me , for the beginner i think its a great place to start.

I use PyCharm Community at work as it works great on both Widows and Linux machines.

Jupyter and REPL.it are great cloud based options if you’re scripting/prototyping and not doing code for an embedded system.

I’ve used previous versions of VisualStudio Community with Python, but I’ve been in situations where I’ve had to avoid a lot of it’s built-in handling of virtual environments and solution file set-ups as they caused more headaches than they solved.

VSCode probably doesn’t have that problem.

If you’re not using CPython (base Python) and instead using something like PyPy, Anaconda, Jython, or IronPython, then the choice of IDE comes down to which one handles your Python stack choices the best.

But really, as long as you keep and eye on PyCharm’s debugger’s resource usage and are good about using generators instead of slamming 2+GB lists into memory, PyCharm is fantastic and fully featured.

Use pycharm It is a great ide for writing and learning python. The IDE is user-friendly and has got some great features. If you use idel and the cli it is possible to code without breaking your code. I have used Jupiter notebook, Jupiter notebook work well for data science

The best one to use is pycharm. It is simple and you can use it for other languages as well.

vim pycharm vscode
vim need plugin

Mostly using Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com) at the moment. I have used Sublime, Brackets and Atom but since Visual Studio Code has been released I haven’t looked back. It is very customisable and can be used with a wide range of languages on different platforms.

I keep it simple with IDLE and notepad++ for scripts.

i like Visual Studio Code, it has support for a ton of other languages. and its free.

Currently comparing between Sublime and VS code, I feel the plugins that come with VS code are better than sublime, but still thinking about a transition.

Since I don’t see it mentioned yet, I’ve found Spyder to be my Python IDE go-to for more things than I care to admit. It’s the main IDE that comes with Anaconda I believe. It is a little on the large side but I find it great for many applications, especially if it involves data science. It’s easy to install via pip or conda and it’s free. It’s easy to switch working directories if need be and comes with pretty awesome linting and code completion with no setup needed. Having the IPython console right next to the scripting area makes it so easy to play and test as you go with zero window switching. The cherry on top is that you can use Jupyter Notebook cell-style scripting without the hassle of various buttons/keyboard shortcuts to manipulate cells, as a cell is just defined in script with: “#%% … #%%”

#%% Cell Start
code...code...code...
#%% Cell End

The system makes isolating bits of code and running them independently in the console very fast, then merging them back is as simple as deleting the ‘#%%’ bits.

I often think of it as a Jupyter Notebooks big brother.

I use pycharm and Jupyter nootebook.