What is the best route to obtain a developer job?

What is the best route to obtain a developer job?

Hello,

I’m very new to coding but I love it so far. I recently graduated college with degrees that most likely won’t help me in the tech industry (education and theology). I’m working in sales at a technology start up and have realized that I would love to explore/become a web developer (unsure of if I should go for fullstack/front end…)

The problem is that I have no idea where to start. There seems to be a ton of resources out there to develop skill, but I’m wondering if companies will hire me merely off of my knowledge that I learned from free websites like freeCodeCamp. I see there are bootcamps out there, but I cannot quit my full time job as I am supporting my wife and soon to come baby. There are also some evening classes where I live that I could take, but I’m wondering if it’s worth taking these, especially if it’s not necessary to take the classes because of the other free resources. The one that I’m specifically interested in is Interface Web School in Omaha

I’d love to hear some advice and receive some direction on where to start. This field looks amazing.

Thanks!

It really comes down to what you can do, not where you learned it. Just a certificate, whether it’s FCC, Udemy, or an expensive bootcamp, alone doesn’t get you far. What matters is what you have made. How many projects? How complex? How polished? Demonstrating what skills? At the companies that I’ve worked for, when it comes to non-traditional (programming) education they also look at time. Some places have a strict “or equivalent experience” policy that mean you need 4 years of demonstratable experience to “count” as a university degree. (In some cases, like at my current company, there are legal reasons they need to do things like that.)

Basically: start learning. Make projects. Keep working on them. Continue making increasingly impressive projects until you get an offfer. Suggested projects like the FCC certificate projects are a good place to start, but you’ll only be able to keep working on projects if they are things for you. As you gain skills and confidence, think of things that you would care about finishing. That could mean creating a free app for helping match shelter pets with foster families if that’s something you’re passionate about or something as silly as an IoT project that waters your houseplants when it’s raining outside.

Don’t count out your education, degree is better than no degree.

Also, if you enjoy education and teaching you could transition into teaching software development.