What is you perfered text editor? An informal poll

I am atomic power user haha! It has the built-in git-diff which I really like!

Iā€™ve jumped around a few editors, but my latest one is really impressing me.

After years of Notepad++ for HTML and CSS and IDLE for Python, Iā€™ve been using Atom since starting FCC.

But the one that has really impressed me since I switched two days ago isā€¦

VISUAL STUDIO CODE

• The Git integration feels more intuitive than Atom (which is odd, given Atomā€™s parentage)
  • The integrated terminal is perfection! And you can set it to Powershell if youā€™re a Windows hack like me that hates cmd.exe

So after years of begrudging acceptance of Windows, I can now say that Microsoft is really starting to knock each pitch right out of the park with itā€™s recent efforts :slight_smile:

I like sublime text :slight_smile:

I prefer notepad++ above all.

I use Sublime Text 3 but Iā€™m learning VIM at the moment so may switch to that in the near future.

I havenā€™t tried most of the cross-platform editors, but as a long-time Windows user (all the way back to 3.1, back when I was a kid) Iā€™m a huge fan of Notepad++! Sublime Text is good too, and I use it on Linux (I dual-boot between Windows 10 and Ubuntu), but Notepad++ gives me enough of a reason to code on Windows. :wink:

I havenā€™t tried many, just a little bit of Notepad ++, Atom and Brackets. This is the one I love the most. In particular because it allows you to see your changes in real time, so you do not need to keep refreshing your browser to see if things are working as expected.

I have to say that I work with two screens most of the time and that feature is addictive. Nowā€¦ when I work in Codepen which does not have it, and also without all the plugins I keep missing Brackets. On the flipside Brackets is veeeeery slow to load at the start. DonĀ“t know why (same thing with Atom).

I use sublime text 2 and have for a while now - the package stuff is great if you use it - i know i should learn to use vim or something but I like sublime and it works for me.

Hi, why did you switch from Brackets?

Hello fuecisia

I havenā€™t totally abandoned Brackets, just using Atom right now.
It seems to run slower than Brackets, but I love the customization capabilities.
Playing with the Multi Cursor package right nowā€¦
I understand Brackets also has a multi cursor extension, but havenā€™t tried it yet.
My use of editors goes way back to Netbeans.

1 Like

thanks Islandwebtek,

For the moment I am going to stick to brackets because there is so much to learn and so many configurations, so many plugins that I get trapped on them instead of learning more substantial stuff.

It is nice to have the possibility to ask you guys that are so much more advanced. After too much time wasted my advice for myself and for others in the same situation is to try to focus. Just pick one editor from the top 5 and donā€™t bother too much about configuration and pluginsā€¦ in the future I am sure that I will start willing that my editor did this or that and then it will be the time for more research on this. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

How 'bout you add Visual Studio code?
or is that what Visual Studio is?