What is your favorite Linux Distro?

What is your favorite Linux Distro?

I used any major distributions there is.

Gentoo hits home with me as it’s the pinnacle of customization and stability in the world of linux distros.

It simply does not get any better than that.

Optimizing and building against your own hardware and specific CPU set of instructions is as good as it gets in terms of performance and stability.

So, hard? Maybe,

Time consuming? Just the first time.

But the ROI is unparalleled, undeniable and obvious and that explains the hardcore, die-hard community that keeps it alive over the years.

1 Like

I disagree in part, I want to keep everything up to date and I don’t mind compile times themselves as I would just do the compiles overnight for larger builds

However, I can’t justify to myself the electricity cost of compiling things for a negligible(!) performance benefit when one person can compile generically and share the binary as in arch

It’s not the financial cost you see, but the concept overall multiplied over a lot of users, so I prefer the generic packages with custom compiles for things I care to customise

Perhaps I should use a binary Gentoo repository but somehow that feels wrong to me, portage is phenomenal and it’d be ruining the entire purpose and point

I use Ubuntu many years ago, although still learning, in my opinion this system have a comparative advantage from technical and practical point of view. Community driven and lots of information that can help you to develop your own path as a user o developer.

I used Ubuntu because it was easy to learn as I was new to all this. Also quick google search would solve my issues. I just started using Kali. I am still getting used to it but kali linux has a ton of built in tools for security. Right now my preference is ubuntu but I think with more understanding of kali I would enjoy using it more.

1 Like

Linux mint cinamon the best.

1 Like

I jumped off with Ubuntu, floated through Debian, and now have happily landed in Antergos, an Arch based distro, and couldn’t be happier.

I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone as there tends to be a bit more maintenance with this distro as it is a rolling release but I find it pretty stable and has the tools I’m looking for. (Some take a bit more work to install as not everyone supports it natively.)

I use busenlabs because I liked the minimalist style of the old crunch-bang !! I do not like distro that wants to imitate the windows … it’s super fast even on my old Pentium !!!

I like elementy OS and Ubuntu with interface gnome :yum:

I am using debian, it is good to me.

Ubuntu and Fedora
Advantages :

1. Newbie friendly
  2. Great community
  3. Useful updates

OK. I see a lot of Ubuntu Fedora fans! I personally have been using Manjaro for the last 3 years as my primary OS. For learning, gaming, and everything else.

Here is what I like about Manjaro:

• ROLLING RELEASE - Meaning you have to install it only once and that is it. You don’t have to install a new OS every time it releases the new version (like Ubuntu and Fedora).

• ARCH BASED - This means, you will get the latest packages in around 2 weeks (if you’re using the Manjaro stable repo). This means all your favourite desktop environment and packages will have the latest version always. You don’t have to EVER wait for an year or 6months to get your latest version of desktop environment (Ubuntu used to keep me waiting for 1year when I used to use GNOME in my LTS release). You will have to use a PPA a which is unstable if you want to use it before.

• LESS BUGS - If you are like me and like to stick to stable repos and releases, point release has always have the problem of having a buggy system. Only the important softwares will get updates. For the rest of it, you will have to wait until the next big release. This is resolved with Manjaro, all the packages will be updated to stable in around 2weeks and you will always have an up-to-date system!

• STABLE - I found Manjaro more stable than Ubuntu and definitely light years ahead of Fedora! There is a reason why Manjaro has been #1 in distrowatch.com for the last one year.

• PACMAN - People who have mentioned APT is amazing should definitely use pacman as their package manager at least once in their life. Since Pacman was made for arch which is more for experienced, it was made more flexible and easy to use. And I love using pacman!

• AUR - Arch User Repository hosts softwares for almost everything! The better explanation for AUR is PPA implemented better. Just be careful enough to read and install a package which is trusted by the community and you will be fine.

• COMMUNITY - How did I forget to mention the community!!? Unlike Arch community, Manjaro community is more warm, patient and helpful. If you have a problem with your system, post it in the forum and you will get help soon for sure!

• MHWD ( M anjaro H ard W are D etection, for detection of free & proprietary video drivers will detect and install all the drivers needed to make your hardware be used to the best!

• The only thing that I really used to miss from Manjaro (being arch based) was that it doesn’t have well packaged proprietary softwares (like .deb and .rpm packages) of popular softwares we use like slack, google chrome etc. But the good news is, you can install them using http://flathub.org/ and http://snapcraft.io/ and boom! You got that issue solved as well!

And most importantly, it is fun and rewarding once you use Manjaro, I learned and have been having fun for the last three years! It is just amazing. Why don’t you give it a try? And let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I prefer using Parrot OS

I go with a Gentoo. Everything is highly customizable and the heart of it is a unique, well-supported, source-based package manager (everything get compiled directly for your needs). However, the it needs some time to learn how things work under the hood to be able to manage occasional problems.

For servers RHEL/CentOS, for my desktop i use Fedora

Kubuntu LTS. I am using it for a few years now.

Manjaro.
No messing with PPAs
Rolling release - no waiting ages for the latest package updates.
Great forum community.
It just works.

1 Like

In terms of what I actually use, as opposed to what just seem theoretically cool, I’d have to say Ubuntu is my go-to. The apt package manager is fantastically implemented, at least for me.

I’ve fiddled around quite a bit with Kali, seeing what I can do to some VM I set up, but that’s just a playground, not a home.

1 Like

I use Ubuntu 16.04

Its easy to find support and learn Ubuntu …

I would like to know about other good options also

1 Like

I’m a PC user, been so since the 90’s, whenever I needed linux or bash shell I used to have to partition my hard drive and install linux separately, it got annoying maintaining 2 separate os on my machine, not to mention very buggy, enter Windows 10 , it lets you run any Linux system on windows via the windows store, it is fantastic, once installed, in the powershell CLI just type bash, and you have a linux bash shell, no separate os, no nothing , it is great, for those who like me need to be on a PC but need a linux bash, I highly recommend it

I :heart: Ubuntu!

18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish has a great theme. :slight_smile:

2 Likes