What motivates you to learn coding?

Hello everyone, I have some lack of motivation to learn although I really enjoy learning coding, so I was wondering what are your motivations to learn to code? Thanks!

5 Likes

Motivation is a lie
If you want to learn to code develop the habit of coding everyday so even if that day you are not motivated you keep progressing anyway, if you always wait for motivation you will never progress.

Anyway, I want to help create a website for a family business, and then I am interested in how programming is used for science research

52 Likes

I am currently a teacher and the education system is just too much on fire. I am learning web development and UX Design so I can eventually work remotely and be a stay at home parent.

14 Likes

The prospect of making a good living and building cool projects. But, like @ilenia said, donā€™t rely on motivation, because it comes and goes. It should become a routine, like brushing your teeth.

7 Likes

Motivation is really important when it comes to coding. I am a beginner but the thing that keeps me going is actually my hardwork. I see improvement in myself everyday, even though I learned a single line of Code but I did progress and that little progress each day will make you feel good just keep going and when you will look back after a month or so, you will see a massive change. Just think about your big goal.

4 Likes

Curiosity.

I wanted to know how computers worked, I wanted to understand the magic, and once I started learning it was like I was a god.

I was a god that could create his own universe, and instruct the universe to act in the ways that I deemed fit. I could come up with an idea, and shape that idea into something real.

I enjoy the mental challenge of making things. Itā€™s frustrating, but if you have an end goal in mind, and have the persistence to see it through then you can get past the frustration and enjoy the win of seeing your idea come into fruition.

9 Likes

Mines are more superficial.

Recognition. I feel happy when others take a moment to take a look at my work think itā€™s ā€œcoolā€.

This gives me genuine satisfaction and fuels me to provide better work.

8 Likes

This is something Iā€™ve wanted to do since I was a teenager. Though Iā€™ve had other careers and my life kept taking me in different directions, I kept going back to coding both as a hobby and freelancer, and I knew I would not truly be happy until that is what I was doing with my life.

The other thing that motivated me is my daughter. Shifting careers at 40 was a huge gamble and risk. It darn near ruined us financially. But my daughter told me she thought it was so cool that Im going after something I want. Being able to prove to my daughter that no matter the odds, you can do what you put your mind to, follow your dreams, and being a role model for her was a huge motivator too.

12 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle of a move so I canā€™t code dailyā€¦but what motivates me is to see something I created come to life. Itā€™s always fantastic when something that didnā€™t exist before exists after you create it.

9 Likes

One of the guys here mentioned that when you accomplish something, like trying to figure out how a line of code works and you try to duplicate thatā€¦it sort of becomes euphoric. To know that you, on your own, were able to figure that outā€¦itā€™s a feeling that becomes pretty exhilarating. That to me is my motivation. You just donā€™t give upā€¦no matter how rotten your day is going, just do it!

3 Likes

Please help me out sir, my Name is Kewe Richard, I want to learn how to code because i want to invent something that will be useful to the world in the future. iā€™m 20 years old now. but the problem is that i donā€™t know how to start. I was introduce to the coding camp but i donā€™t know where to start. so i would appreciate if you can show me how to start here. I will be waiting to hear from you soon.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you for this.

1 Like

The question I would ask is what makes you like coding? Catch that moment and see how to have more of those and then do those things more often.

1 Like

Youā€™re in your twenties, and that is a great time in your life to dedicate yourself to something worth while.
Coding is like baby steps. You begin small and focus on those small steps. Gradually those baby steps become strides and then leaps. And FCC is an awesome place to learn. Depending on what you want to built; perhaps a website, app, a gameā€¦itā€™s all there for you on FCC. The support there is awesome, when you get stuck on something. So donā€™t be afraid to ask for help assistance/help when you have exhausted your research on a problem.

Start small and grow from there ā€¦ like anything else in life, itā€™s a learning experience.

Iā€™m 51 years old and have been programming for at least 2 years. I am still learning and itā€™s been such a adventure to say the least. I to want to develop something that would benefit the worldā€¦for the good of humanity. :grinning: :call_me_hand:

KEEP ON CODING!!!
Humanity will make it through this

8 Likes

The Internet and all devices you see with all of its complexity, counts in basic software concept called ā€œcodeā€ . Understanding the different applications of programming making or ā€œcodingā€ will give wide possibilities of making new amazing programs , that when other people see it will wonder ā€˜Can someone do something like that ?ā€™.

2 Likes

@Elineea Some people enjoy coding because it is extremely useful. The possibilities you have with programming are almost limitless.

Automation is a strong reason to learn programming. Picture this, imagine you find a free book online that you have always wanted to read, so you download a sample page. You try to open the file but the page is in a format that is incompatbile with all the programs you own. Luckily, you have a paid-for-program the will convert the page to a readable format for you.The program requires you to click at least ten times just to get the page converted to a readable format, including going to File > Open, drilling down the filesystem to in Windows Explorer or Finder to locate the file in your downloads folder to select and load the file. You then have to select the options, size, format, color, and name of the output file, and save location. Then you click the ā€˜convertā€™ button and the a new file appears. You say to yourself ā€œGreat!, now I can read the pageā€. However, you realize that you have a problem, the book has more 999 pages and the pages must be converted one by one.
How long would it take you to convert the rest of the book? It is better to have a program do it for you automatically.

If you donā€™t feel like coding, think of making a program that is useful to you in your life.

• How about writing a program that will automatically sort and move items in your downloads folder by file extension?
  • How about a program that will sort your photos by reading the date metadata and sorting the photos in folders by date? That way you could always find your photos and know when you took the picture.
  • How about writing a program that will query an API to get useful information such as the local weather, the exchange rate, or the word of the day?
3 Likes

hello,

I work 12 hrs for 4 days and on my three days off i learn HTML and CSS and java. i study 4 to 5 hours. so that would be 15 hrs on my days off.
I really enjoy it but I have also notice Microsoft has something call blazor which looks interesting and on my computer it says keep focus and never give up. This keeps me going .

2 Likes

I am trying to get sober. I started web design to fill my time and burn off some energy

6 Likes

Confidence booster indeed. I have found that I have become a lot more reassured about my abilities. Not just in coding but in other things that I would have had a hard time coping with.

5 Likes

So in that case, coding and learning makes you focus in one thing. And when you have made it your own, the world is your oyster. So at times it will be challenging and frustrating but donā€™t give up.

2 Likes