What motivates you to learn coding?

What motivates you to learn coding?

Hello everyone, I have some lack of motivation to learn although I really enjoy learning coding, so I was wondering what are your motivations to learn to code? Thanks!

3 Likes

Motivation is a lie
If you want to learn to code develop the habit of coding everyday so even if that day you are not motivated you keep progressing anyway, if you always wait for motivation you will never progress.

Anyway, I want to help create a website for a family business, and then I am interested in how programming is used for science research

16 Likes

I am currently a teacher and the education system is just too much on fire. I am learning web development and UX Design so I can eventually work remotely and be a stay at home parent.

3 Likes

The prospect of making a good living and building cool projects. But, like @ieahleen said, don’t rely on motivation, because it comes and goes. It should become a routine, like brushing your teeth.

Motivation is really important when it comes to coding. I am a beginner but the thing that keeps me going is actually my hardwork. I see improvement in myself everyday, even though I learned a single line of Code but I did progress and that little progress each day will make you feel good just keep going and when you will look back after a month or so, you will see a massive change. Just think about your big goal.

1 Like

Curiosity.

I wanted to know how computers worked, I wanted to understand the magic, and once I started learning it was like I was a god.

I was a god that could create his own universe, and instruct the universe to act in the ways that I deemed fit. I could come up with an idea, and shape that idea into something real.

I enjoy the mental challenge of making things. It’s frustrating, but if you have an end goal in mind, and have the persistence to see it through then you can get past the frustration and enjoy the win of seeing your idea come into fruition.

2 Likes

Mines are more superficial.

Recognition. I feel happy when others take a moment to take a look at my work think it’s “cool”.

This gives me genuine satisfaction and fuels me to provide better work.

1 Like

This is something I’ve wanted to do since I was a teenager. Though I’ve had other careers and my life kept taking me in different directions, I kept going back to coding both as a hobby and freelancer, and I knew I would not truly be happy until that is what I was doing with my life.

The other thing that motivated me is my daughter. Shifting careers at 40 was a huge gamble and risk. It darn near ruined us financially. But my daughter told me she thought it was so cool that Im going after something I want. Being able to prove to my daughter that no matter the odds, you can do what you put your mind to, follow your dreams, and being a role model for her was a huge motivator too.

4 Likes

I’m in the middle of a move so I can’t code daily…but what motivates me is to see something I created come to life. It’s always fantastic when something that didn’t exist before exists after you create it.

5 Likes

One of the guys here mentioned that when you accomplish something, like trying to figure out how a line of code works and you try to duplicate that…it sort of becomes euphoric. To know that you, on your own, were able to figure that out…it’s a feeling that becomes pretty exhilarating. That to me is my motivation. You just don’t give up…no matter how rotten your day is going, just do it!

Please help me out sir, my Name is Kewe Richard, I want to learn how to code because i want to invent something that will be useful to the world in the future. i’m 20 years old now. but the problem is that i don’t know how to start. I was introduce to the coding camp but i don’t know where to start. so i would appreciate if you can show me how to start here. I will be waiting to hear from you soon.

Awesome. Thank you for this.

The question I would ask is what makes you like coding? Catch that moment and see how to have more of those and then do those things more often.

You’re in your twenties, and that is a great time in your life to dedicate yourself to something worth while.
Coding is like baby steps. You begin small and focus on those small steps. Gradually those baby steps become strides and then leaps. And FCC is a awesome place to learn. Depending on what you want to built; perhaps a website, app, a game…it’s all there for you on FCC. The support here is great when you get stuck on something. So don’t be afraid to knock on the doors to find the assistance/help you are looking for.

Start small and grow from there … like anything else in life.

I’m 51 years old and have been programming for at least 2 years. I am still learning and it’s been such a adventure to say the least. I to want to develop something that would benefit the world…for the good of humanity. :grinning: :call_me_hand:

KEEP ON CODING!!!

2 Likes

The Internet and all devices you see with all of its complexity, counts in basic software concept called “code” . Understanding the different applications of programming making or “coding” will give wide possibilities of making new amazing programs , that when other people see it will wonder ‘Can someone do something like that ?’.

@Elineea Some people enjoy coding because it is extremely useful. The possibilities you have with programming are almost limitless.

Picture this, imagine you find a free book online that you have always wanted to read, so you download a sample page. You try to open the file but the page is in a format that is incompatbile with all the programs you own. Luckily, you have a paid-for-program the will convert the page to a readable format for you.The program requires you to click at least ten times just to get the page converted to a readable format, including going to File > Open, drilling down the filesystem to in Windows Explorer or Finder to locate the file in your downloads folder to select and load the file. You then have to select the options, size, format, color, and name of the output file, and save location. Then you click the ‘convert’ button and the a new file appears. You say to yourself “Great!, now I can read the page”. However, you realize that you have a problem, the book is 999 pages long and the pages must be converted one by one.
How long would it take you to convert the rest of the book? It is better to have a program do it for you automatically.

If you don’t feel like coding, think of making a program that is useful to you in your life.

• How about writing a program that will automatically sort and move items in your downloads folder by file extention?
  • How about a program that will sort your photos by reading the date metadata and sorting the photos in folders by date? That way you could always find your photos and know when you took the picture.
  • How about writing a program that will query an API to get useful information such as the local weather, the exchange rate, or the word of the day?

When I was around 13 (early 2017) I googled “how to code” and looked around Youtube for anything. Watched a few people type up a bunch of code that I didn’t understand.

I was searching around some videos and found a freeCodeCamp review. I decided to check it out and try for myself. I started learning and new the basics of HTML quickly. I used to browse the forums, sometimes giving project feedback from my then school iPad to others or asking for help on my now deleted first projects.

My first big JS project was the local weather calculator. It took me about 800 lines of ES5 code to complete, mostly because I had no knowledge of functional programming at the time. I didn’t take much notes on the challenges and the ES6 ones were never implemented. It stopped working due the FCC API not working anymore.

My biggest issue was being a immature young teenager and acting kind of stupid (being a annoying kid working with working around adults). I even went by a fake name. I eventually ended up abandoning those forum/ gitter accounts due to how cringy they were. When i was 14.5 (Sep 2018) I created new accounts being a mostly mature young adult, understanding how not to act like a idiot. It is amazing how much you can change in 1 and 1/2 years.

From their I have been off and on programming, creating a decent amount of projects i’m still proud of over a year later. I entered my sophomore year of HS and take a AP CSP class. I am about to turn 16 and have just completed some of my more complex projects, such as a JS number system translator without radix and my personal portfolio page. I even made a webpage for my freshman pseudoscience science project.

I did nearly 50 - 100 project reviews (266 replies), but stopped over a year ago. I have made other projects like the calculator, but due to faults and such I deleted it. I still have every project I have ever made dating back to 2017 backed up on my computer though. Young me wasn’t a total idiot.

I also have learned the hard way that motivation is a lie as @ieahleen mentioned. Creating something makes me feel good which wants me to do it more. Sitting around and not doing it, waiting to live in a fantasy that you will suddenly want do it again will never work. I went 3 months without programming after my number system project and 5 months before that because I was hopping my motivation would suddenly jump up again. This was wrong and I forced myself to get back into it two weeks ago and I have been nothing but happy since. Tackling recursion and working my way towards redoing the challenges with ES6 knowledge is my goal.

I am happy with who I am today and programming gives me a massive self confidence boost.

2 Likes

hello,

I work 12 hrs for 4 days and on my three days off i learn HTML and CSS and java. i study 4 to 5 hours. so that would be 15 hrs on my days off.
I really enjoy it but I have also notice Microsoft has something call blazor which looks interesting and on my computer it says keep focus and never give up. This keeps me going .

I am trying to get sober. I started web design to fill my time and burn off some energy

2 Likes

Confidence booster indeed. I have found that I have become a lot more reassured about my abilities. Not just in coding but in other things that I would have had a hard time coping with.

2 Likes