What motivates you to learn coding?

I agree with what @ilenia says. It is a habit that you got to develop.

But for me recently, I have been getting really interested in AI, ML, and game dev. And even so after watching

I have gotten a burst of motivation recently as I learnt how programming can be used to to save real lives.

3 Likes

Hey, @Kewe check out my reply to another guys question:

1 Like

Thanks, you are such an inspirational person. I love your courage of trying to despite your age. the world needs more people like you Sir. keep it up and you are going to achieve your goals & dreams.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your advise, I have read everything you wrote and i went to check on your projects too; You are doing a very great job and i would advise you to keep your head up, you are going in, nothing can stop you. sending love to you.

2 Likes

I want to be qualified to do more things at work. I am an Electrical Engineer and I just got the opportunity to work with a team that does work in C# but if it is not the best fit then working through these lessons on freecodecamp could qualify me to take on a more software intensive role. I keep motivated by telling myself I am going to at least look at code once a day. I try to make some deadlines so I have goals on when to get things done. Also read the articles freecodecamp posts to get some direction on where you want to go with it.

It is important to have a big goal with small check points. For me I just want to qualify to be a full stack developer or learn enough software to get a role doing integration between software and hardware.

2 Likes

I want to make more money , want more autonomy in my life , I want to be in a profession where I am utilizing my problem solving skills and I am creating products that people value. I want to one day own my own business. I really hate people micromanaging and that micromanaging isnā€™t as big of an issue in the software development profession. I like learning new technologies and I like learning in general and a software engineer is always learning about new technologies.

2 Likes

This question I ask myself over and over) especially when something is going wrong and I stay at the same point for hours. But, for me, first of all Itā€™s very interesting and exciting occupation.

2 Likes

indeed, itā€™s like they talk about artists and always mentionning talent. thereā€™s no talent, there are years and years of practice

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been a tech geek all my life, even though I grew up in the projects in Jacksonville, Fl. I loved futuristic sci-fi, video games and the computers I encountered in school and at my cousinā€™s house.

I chose the easier and less expensive route of hardware (call center tech support vs college engineering degree) over software, because I never thought I was smart enough for software or financially stable enough for collegeā€¦but due to the explosion of the World Wide Web, programming has whittled far enough away from machine code level programming and it had given birth to easier to comprehend (for me) programming languages like JavaScript and Python.

Currently, I am 51 years old, and I have decided to pursue the career I first fantasized about as a kid and one that will allow me to earn enough money to fund a decent retirement and leave something behind for my grand children; therein is my motivation.

6 Likes

My motivation for learning to code? A lot of it comes from plain, old curiosity. I like to tinker with stuff and coding is an inexpensive pastime.

However, it also has some practical benefits. I live in an area that has suffered a long streak of bad luck, economically speaking, so Iā€™m motivated to expand my skills into areas where thereā€™s a potential to work remotely (i.e. my physical location is less of a concern in regards to making a living). I use coding to build interactive documentation for my job in IT, although maybe this is me indulging my nerdy impulses, rather than being strictly practicalā€¦ :nerd_face:

2 Likes

It always seemed interesting and it fits with what I am studying now in grad school. I have some time now to learn it so doing it now almost everyday.

1 Like

This is a wonderful question.

Iā€™ve been programming for 8 years now and I generally like solving problems. When the desire to code goes away, what helps me cope is to find other channels of motivation. It can be anything from doing sports - to eating out - or binge watching movies. Itā€™s important to remind yourself that programming is not a sprint but a marathon

3 Likes

If you enjoy it, make it an habit and you will always be motivated. Wanting to learn more and design something cool. I also had this challenge by since joining the #100DaysOfCode on twitter, I am pushing through. I try to code everyday!

2 Likes

For me itā€™s knowing I can quit my day job and make a good living while pursuing all my other hobbies and career paths and leaning on a decent level of income in coding.

1 Like

Iā€™m not comfortable knowing that I have all the resources I need to learn yet Iā€™m not even using them. I consider learning a great privilege. I canā€™t be mediocre in my craft, so I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s motivation but I know every day thereā€™s got to be something new Iā€™m learning/improving even if itā€™s by 1% itā€™s still something. Not sure if this makes sense.

1 Like

I work 12 hrs for 4 days and on my three days off i learn HTML and CSS and java. i study 4 to 5 hours. so that would be 15 hrs on my days off.

Im just starting off. 31 years old and a recruiter! Currently off work and want to start a new career path. giving myself a 2-3 Year plan to train and learn enough information to get a job in the field.

Currently learning HTML and struggling haha!

1 Like

First of all,you are on the right platform to learn coding.here is lots of interesting things you have seen. Well one of the best idea to stay motivated is too see successful persons who achieved great in this field. So after that you will be full of postive energy and determination to learn code will be much higher.

1 Like

I was always motivated by money. What I can buy for them and how my life will look like :wink:

Iā€™m 36 and parent of two. Thatā€™s my motivation.

And I really enjoy it. I like making things and debugging. When I find the solution to a problem, I always tell my wife: Iā€™m BATMAN!

I hope to get a job within a couple of years and make a living out of it. Currently Iā€™m a teacher.

2 Likes