What Software Tools do you Love? Hate?

Atom, Npm, node, git, ubuntu, jshint. Atom is Open source and kick-butt

1 Like

Yeaā€¦I agree!

Iā€™m currently in the process of learning Photoshop. Itā€™s my second week in. What Iā€™m trying to do is learn how to use Photoshop and Illustrator efficiently before I go all in, into coding.

Iā€™m planning my learning process. I want to do 2 months of Photoshop training and then 2 months of Illustrator training. Then some other training I need to do for creative writing and video editing. When Iā€™m all done and comfortable with all the training I did I will move forward, full speed ahead, into coding. Which will probably be in the beginning of 2017.

Thatā€™s my plan!
So, happy coding you allā€¦

1 Like

The Atom Editor looks nice, has a built in package manager, and its easy to customize

1 Like

Iā€™ve enjoyed reading through this thread. Iā€™m going to try Atom and Visual Studio Code.

Presently I have notepad ++, sublime and brackets installed ā€¦ I use brackets the most, and notepad ++ not as much. sublime every now and then.

I use Photoshop every now and then for very basic image editing. I intend to learn more about it and use it more.

2 Likes

Yep. Alfred workflows have so much power. I have Gist, Repos, Stack Overflow, Hacker News, DNS, and SSH workflows to name a few. Love Alfred. Anyone with a Mac should check it out. You need to buy the PowerPack to get the workflows, though. You can find it here.

2 Likes

@twhite96 wow! Sounds like youā€™re making some serious productivity gains. Iā€™ve been on the fence about investing in PowerPackā€¦

How do workflows differ from your typical bash script?

1 Like

After reading these posts I have now made the change to ATOM. Its a pretty nice editor. Looking forward to some fun.thanks guys.

4 Likes

APIs and X-callback urls.

You can tap into web APIs quite easily. You can also use not only shell scripts but Ruby and Python as well as bash scripts and AppleScript.

Itā€™s also faster and the results are instant and in a sort of GUI.

2 Likes

A tool I havenā€™t quite seen mentioned here yet that Iā€™m loving is bash-it. Itā€™s like oh-my-zsh for bash. It gives you a huge amount of plugins, aliases, and themes to increase your bash productivity without spending a bunch of time doing manual configuration.

Also, the redux devtools extensions. Iā€™ve been doing most of my frontend work in react/redux lately and having a tool to show you all your state mutations as they happen makes debugging a delight.

And for anyone on OSX, quiver is a seriously awesome note-taking app with built-in markdown and code snippet support.

4 Likes

I also use Sublime Text, itā€™s really great for coding.

1 Like

Canā€™t work without Atom & oh my zsh. All I need :slight_smile:

1 Like

For making a mockup Pencil is great http://pencil.evolus.vn/Downloads.html made by the guys at google

1 Like

I second Quiver. Thereā€™s an iOS beta that Iā€™m testing. I have 100 or so notes in Quiver.

For Snippets I use SnippetsLab.

1 Like

quiver looks so cool, wish there was something similar for windows. :pensive:

1 Like

I have used Sublime Text, Brackets and Atom.
I started out with Brackets as that is what the instructor used when I first started learning to code. I then tried Sublime Text when I changed to a different online course (same reason). I then stumbled across Atom.

I see strengths and weaknesses with all. However, as Iā€™m new to coding I canā€™t give a professional review on them.

Iā€™m currently using Sublime Text as my primary editor.

1 Like

Visual Studio Express mentioned earlier is now called Visual Studio Community Edition (just to avoid confusion and clarify). I found it to still be quite a heavy weight and prefer VS Code which at present fulfills my requirements for my full stack FCC course.

2 Likes

Also Eclipse Che for use online at Codenvy is looking very tempting for getting web apps developed, built, tested and deployed online pretty rapidly. Iā€™ve only begun experimenting with it, has anyone else tried it?

http://beta.codenvy.com/

2 Likes

Atom, Atom, Atom. Best ecosystem Iā€™ve found for a text editor. Easy package installations, great documentationā€¦ Easily customizable. Just tops. Plus git integration is on point.

3 Likes

Brackets is the real MVP.

1 Like

Which plugins do you all recommend for Atom?

2 Likes