What to wear at UCR job interview?

I’m so excited! I remember applying to the job (Software Developer) last October and they’ve only responded last Monday.
She said I should familiarize myself with the Behavioral Event interview method – its where they ask you situations in your work experience and how you’ve handled them.

Now that I think about it, this is the first in-person interview I’ll be having in a long time! What do I wear???

1 Like

Check out their website and see if they have any in-office pictures. Check out their Facebook page. Maybe even walk by the office, if possible. Try to dress just a little nicer than their usual attire. If all else fails, just ask your contact what their dress code is like. I don’t think it’s unprofessional to ask what to wear, especially as standards can differ wildly from firm to firm.

Congrats on the interview!

I would ask the interviewer or your contact at the company if they don’t explicitly say.

I think I’ve worn business casual at every tech interview I’ve been to though.

Here’s a link to their job interview guide for students:
http://careers.ucr.edu/essentialjobsearch/successfulinterviews/successfulinterviews.html#5

Guess its safe to assume it applies to faculty applicants too?

I guess I should ask my contact about it now that I’m already scheduled for an interview. :smiley:

I think I’m a little old school. Dress to impress, dress like you are going to go court. You can never go wrong with business formal. If asked, you can always take your take off to go more casual. However, you can never dress up if you show up in a polo shirt and jeans.

Even at work, I always show up in a dress shirt, dress slacks, dress shoes and a tie. Even though my fellow co-workers are wearing polo shirts and jeans. I would always say, if the Director came walking into the office unannounced, how would you like to be dressed.

People always remember the first impression of a person.