What's the most accurate geo location pinpoint service/API we can use for our project?

I am trying to make a momentum clone.
I wonder what kind of location pinpoint API do they use.

If I try to use the common geolocation it cannot surpass my VPN.
But on momentum it always shows my real location when it comes to the address and hence can get the most accurate weather data.

I wonder what kind of API do they use to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know much about VPN’s/Routing and how applications work on VPN’s but I am also working on a project where I am trying to get more accurate geolocation data.

It is possible that Momentum is using a cached location from when you did not have your VPN turned on.

Otherwise I believe it is possible to set a VPN/Router to only tunnel certain applications and traffic but you would know if you had done this.

Another possibility is that Momentum is getting your location from something other than your IP address.

Another possibility is that Momentum is getting your location from something other than your IP address.

I think this is the most likely scenario. I actually emailed momentum and asked them what they use.
But I am not sure whether they are gonna tell me or not, if they do, I will reply you downbelow and maybe you can use it too. Thanks for the reply.

Had you previously accepted a request to access your location? If so, they’re probably just using your previous grant of permission, and it’s using the built-in location service (likely WiFi-based). Note that this can compromise your anonymity on a VPN, so if you’re ever concerned about that, browse in private mode when using the VPN.

1 Like

I am not really worried about my privacy, its just that I wonder how they got the accurate location. Thanks for the info!

Map Box or leaflet is the best geo location api service. They uses HTML5 geo location to get user’s location.
Here is an example of Geo Location api.
https://where-am-i.live