Where can I find an experienced programmer mentor?

<%= @topic_view.topic.title %>
<%= @topic_view.topic.average_rating %> <%= @topic_view.topic.posts.count { |p| !!p.custom_fields['rating'] } %>

I would like to start making money with the skills I’ve learned so far, but I don’t feel ready and would like to get the advice of more experienced programmers here. I’ve already studied the HTML/CSS sections around 5 times, and the JavaScript section around 10 times.

I also finished the Career-Path Web Development course over at Codecademy, but feel like I’ve hit a block where I need to start learning and practicing real world applications of this stuff from more experienced programmers. Is there any kind of mentorship program available, like I work for you for free and do real world projects to gain experience and in exchange a more experienced programmer can guide me thru the steps I’ll need to take to get more skilled so I can actually be qualified for a programming job?

Have you done all of the freeCodeCamp projects?

1 Like

i’ve done almost all the projects related to web development over at the codecademy site

hmm if you already feel kinda job ready you should just start applying to jobs

If you have projects to showcase just build a portfolio with your projects in it, and update your resume.

The more interview experience you get the better you will feel about the job process.

I don’t know anything about the Codecademy projects (I haven’t used it since they changed their model), but you said that you need to practice with real world applications. FCC’s projects bare good for that.

Is there any kind of mentorship program available, like I work for you for free and do real world projects to gain experience and in exchange a more experienced programmer can guide me thru the steps I’ll need to take to get more skilled so I can actually be qualified for a programming job?

Have you considered getting an internship? Because what you described above sounds just like an internship to me. Ofc, a mentor is not a guarantee in an internship (I was fortunate to have one when I did mine; but I also heard a lot of ppl just gotta figure things out as they go on their own). Regardless, internship or trainee programs are probably what you’re looking for. If you’ve been building up a network (highly recommend it if you haven’t), time to ask around!

1 Like

Thanks for naming this ‘internship’ thing. I feel i am in similar situation, learnt so many skills and most willing to implement them in real world scenarios(have started a little bit too ), but not yet found any such opportunity. I don’t know if it’s right question, but could you please tell me if there any such thing available online? Just to grow more strong on my skill, work in team.

Here on the freeCodeCamp forum, you have access to thousands of people who are happy to help you out any time you have questions, need advice, or just want to talk something through.

I have the exact same question. Are there internships available for online/remote jobs?

Anyway, thank you to all who have responded. I think my question has been answered and I have a clearer direction now.

@gghhss @Aman-Grewal From my understanding, I’m afraid that on-site internship is the most common type available. That doesn’t mean remote internship doesn’t exist; it’s just that they are very rare.

try angel.list for getting internships remotely

It’s truly so helpful. I learnt a lot here, keeps me motivated to go along the journey, being positive. Thanks a lot everyone here: for replying to concerns, sharing their advice and experience.

1 Like

Nice one. Thanks Juan