Where to learn?

I’ve finished both html and javascript on FCC, and would like to expand knowledge. Should I just continue finishing certifications on FCC or something else? Where should I go to expand knowledge of javascript because this course seems like only foundations of this programming language? If I finish all certifications will I be able to make my own websites that would have buyers on the market?

Did you do the whole Responsive Web Design certification and Javascript Algorithms and Data Structures certification?

By the time I had done those, my confidence in what FCC could teach me was pretty high.

Yea, I would recommend continuing the FCC curriculum - I’ve been through most of it, there’s definitely a lot of value in the rest of it. You could skip around to the areas you are most curious about.

1 Like

I did everything in javascript, and finished half of the projects for html, and all of the lessons, I am just too lazy to finish 3 more sites for html. I also did some job interview challenges. I have previous basic programming experience in C… javascript lessons were really good and interesting, I would like to continue javascript learning for this reason.

Most of the rest of the curriculum is javascript in some way - in the front end libraries section, jquery, react, and redux are javascript libraries/frameworks - in the data viz section, D3 is a javascript library, and the json apis section is javascript, and once you get passed that it’s a lot more javascript on the back end too. And the coding interview is nearly endless javascript as well, more challenges there than lessons

1 Like

That sounds great. I already started some of the coding interview assignments. Rosetta seems very difficult. Do they teach you later on how to combine javascript and html and to combine all the knowlege to make websites?

Not much specifically on that I don’t think - you’re best bet there might be the jquery section, that uses jquery to play with the html and css a bunch I think, the projects will force you to pick up on that stuff, and checking out other projects and examples can be pretty helpful

1 Like

Yeah, but doing “3 more sites for html” is how you get practice in telling javascript what to do to the html DOM. The more open-ended stuff is worth exactly what you put into it. I used them as ways to challenge myself to replicate the project model without looking at the code. Much time spent on W3schools and MDN later (a little from stackoverflow, too), and I know that you likely need the same to be able to do what you want.

1 Like

Those html challenges are pure html, no javascript. I never combined the two. Ok, I will try also to make websites without looking at the code. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, I will continue on with getting certifications on FCC then. For now at least.

Well, yeah, but you had to learn what a pointer was before understanding stacks and queues in C, so I liken it to that. You don’t need to understand linked lists to program an app that merely needs a stack, but what if you need an app that needs both? The modern Web is analogous to that. You can’t write a nice front-end without knowing how to style an element. Skipping learning how to walk in the web is a good way to trip.

Source: I am a desktop hobbyist fluent in several languages, trying to unlearn my hack-and-slash basic understanding of late 90’s html and javascript. It’s working. I can make apps in React now.

Yeah, it is weird for me to be concerned about style and such, since during education main focus was always on algorithms and logic style being always something mostly irrelevant or non existing so it is kind of new to me that style is so important as it is in web design. Thanks for the advice, I will continue making these website projects.

1 Like

Oh, don’t sell your prior training short. True front-end development requires both, and full-stack development requires application logic in boatloads, even if most apps are basically CRUD. Good design is a real field even in and of itself, and there’s math behind it, for example, hot corners, aka why Mac’s interface is weaker than Windows.

The FCC Youtube Channel has great videos where you build projects.
ALWAYS build stuff.

I would start with some easy things like a Frontend for an API,
then go deeper building the Backend API yourself,
then doing both yourself.

I think another way to learn it is contributing to an Open source project (https://www.firsttimersonly.com/) . I am learning javascript here in FCC and after finishing the certifications I would like to contribute.