Which light Linux Distributions is great to start to familiarize?

Is it possible to familiarize with Linux start by using light distributions? (i cant afford to buy a raspberry pi)
Is good to start using one of these to familiarize: Lubuntu/Ubuntu Mate/Linux Lite?

2 Likes

You can try Linux from a live USB, no need to install on your hard drive. The size of the distribution depends on what is packaged in the iso image, but you will need to consider the Desktop Environment (DE). Xfce is fairly lightweight and has a good range of features, LXDE and LXQt are also light. I use Xfce.

There’s more to Linux than ___buntu.

Here’s my desktop:

EDIT: I installed my Linuxes onto external USB HDDs. That way, I can keep any Windows-related stuff separate from Linux. I’m glad I did, because Windows destroyed itself this week (BSoD for almost everything).

2 Likes

Whats the difference between DE and OS?
Im asking for lightweight distributions because i cant support other obviously, and __buntu if u mind bc quoting two __buntu distros is that bc they’re one of the most lightweight distributions and the family of them is of one its popular that i could migrate in the future, 2GB RAM to less all them.

1 Like

The DE is the Desktop Environment that the OS uses to display your system with graphics on the screen, as opposed to a terminal-only system. Each DE has a different look and feel, range of features and specific software. Before you choose a distro, you should be able to see which DE it uses.

Xfce, LXDE and LXQt are among the lightest.
You’ll want to avoid GNOME and KDE.
There are many more. You can search for them: lightweight linux desktop environments – Qwant Search

This is a nice list of DEs: 13 Lightweight Linux Desktop Environments for Old Computers

3 Likes

and how is installed a DE for example, for an Linux Lite?

1 Like

The distribution information will show you what the DE is. __buntu: Kubuntu (KDE/Plasma), Lubuntu (LXQt), Ubuntu (GNOME I think, used to be Unity), Xubuntu (Xfce)… One DE is generally bundled with the ISO you download. However, Manjaro has an installer called Architect, which gives you full control over what is installed, including the DE.

You can take a look at https://distrowatch.com/ to see which distros are popular page views and information about each one. MX Linux is at the top right now, which is based on Debian.

2 Likes

Here’s my Manjaro Xfce stats after bootup.

2 Likes

lol you taught a lot me in just few replies, im really glad and grateful for you
really thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome.
I recommend that you download a few ISOs from the distribution websites and try them from a bootable USB stick. You can boot into the USB stick via BIOS. The system may be a little slower as a LIVE session.
Rufus is recommended by many to create a bootable USB.

You can install onto a virtual machine, but that will take up RAM, and VMs never seem to behave as well in my opinion.

4 Likes