Why my code doesn't work? - Game Color - Doesn't compile JS file

Hi coders,
Recently I’m doing this color game that i found in this article on FCC:

I have done HTML and CSS files,but I have some difficult with JS file:
The first goal is to put the colors I put inside an array into squares.

var colors = ["rgb(197,34,14)", "rgb(0,29,164)", "rgb(129,1,253)","rgb(196,161,94)","rgb(123,66,53)","rgb(17,103,22)"]; //set colors
var squares = document.querySelectorAll(".square");//select elements with class .square
for(i=0; i<squares.length; i++){
    console.log(squares.style.backgroundColor = colors[i]); //Used console.log to print in console in browser
}

When load page didn’t show a result and left squares white.
Here there is also HTML file:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>Color Project</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="app.css">
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Press+Start+2P&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">
<script  src="/app.js"></script>
</head>

<body>
    <!--Change-->
    <h1>Guess Color:<span id="change-color">RGB</span></h1>

<div id="gameboard">
    <button id="reset">New Game</button>
    <button class="select">Easy</button>
    <button class="select">Hard</button>
</div>    

<!--Six div = six colors-->
<div id="container">
    <div id="1"class="square"></div>
    <div id="2"class="square"></div>  
    <div id="3"class="square"></div>
    <div id="4"class="square"></div>
    <div id="5"class="square"></div>
    <div id="6"class="square"></div>
</div>    
</body>

</html>

This is start design page:

(P:S i know that the design is awful but try to fix it)

What does the console log say on your browser in your for loop? It might say that it can’t read backgroundColor of undefined, because you’re not specifying which square out of the list to apply the background color to, as it’s taking in that entire node list.

Try accessing each individual square by doing this

squares[i].style.backgroundColor = colors[i]

and see if that changes the colors of each square.

Ok fix this:

digita o incolla il codicvar squares = document.querySelector(".square");//select elements with class .square
for(var i=0; i<squares.length; i++){
    console.log(squares[i].style.backgroundColor = colors[i]);
}

now console give me this error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘length’ of null

My doubt is for the “square” class does not have a length and that the “square” class is located inside another div therefore I have to take in the querySelector id container and then loop with for its length?

Did you declare your squares variable using at lease var or const? An issue that could be happening as well is that you’re not selecting all div elements with the class of square, since you are using querySelector, which only selects one element. You would want to use querySelectorAll, to get all elements with a particular class name.

Change it to this and see if it works

var squares = document.querySelectorAll('.square')

Preferably I would change var to const to avoid any potential issues in the future.

Thanks but maybe I have a problem with my localhost, beacuse i try in js ide online and works, but in VSCode doesn’t work.

On VSCode is your javascript file linked in your HTML file?

Edit: NVM I supposed it would be linked if you’re getting those error messages. What’s does your JS file look like? Does it differ from the original one you posted?

Yes in html there is link to JS file.
My Js file is the same as I posted here or just edited the parts of querySelectorAll in the right way.

I don’t know exactly what the problem might be :pensive:.

Just looked over your html file again, try moving your script tag for your JS to the bottom, that’s where you would generally put any js files, just right before the closing body tag.

Thanks I will do as you suggested :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me know if that works for ya! I believe you’re getting the error message of null, because when it loads your html file, it reads it from top to bottom, and loads your script tag first, before any of the actual html that you are targeting, hence why it can’t be found.

Are you writing this whole project in one file?
For instance, all inside of index.html

Thanks everyone I resolve it!!

In order to compile the javascript file you have to put it at the end of your HTML before closing tag body