Why Scope not working here?

Why Scope not working here?

Hi,

I am trying to make a function that counts , the number of times an item in an array is repeated , i have been able to do so but , when i console it out, i get repeat values like –

20:02:02.069 practice_2.js:30 a 4
20:02:02.070 practice_2.js:30 b 3
20:02:02.070 practice_2.js:30 a 4
20:02:02.070 practice_2.js:30 a 4
20:02:02.070 practice_2.js:30 z 1

so the values keep repeated themselves like a -4 b -3 etc, also when i try and print them outside the outer loop despite the fact that testStr is on outside scope it prints undefined …

Note - Is there any solution in not so difficult higher order function like filter reduce etc … Thanks…

Below is my code -

function permAlone(str) {
    "use strict";
    var i, j, count;
    var tr = false;

var testStr = str.split("");
    for ( i = 0; i < testStr.length; i++) {
        var count =0;

for(j = 0; j < testStr.length; j++) {
            if(testStr[i] === testStr[j]) {
                tr  = true;
                count++;
             }
         }

}

if(tr) {
            console.log(testStr[i],count);
        }

//  return str;
}

permAlone('aabbaabz');

Below is one possible solution. I changed the function named to better reflect what the function is doing. I did not use a higher order function to solve the problem.

function countLetters(str) {
  var seenAlready = {};
  for (var letter of str)
    seenAlready[letter] = seenAlready[letter] ? seenAlready[letter]  + 1 : 1;
  for (var prop in seenAlready)
    console.log(prop + ' = ' + seenAlready[prop]);
}

countLetters('aabbaabz');

Yields the following:

a = 4
b = 3
z = 1

@RandellDawson - Thanks, i am struggling a bit to understand what is going on with your code , my bad , i do not know the use of for loop with of and in , i am just thinking where i should practice to develop such skills :slight_smile:

Note - what mistake i was making with my code , why i was not getting a condensed result like yours though i was able to count the number of times an alphabet was present in the array ?

The code I originally posted was a more condensed version making use of the for of syntax available in Javascript.

Here the same logic, without using the for of statement:

function countLetters(str) {
  var seenAlready = {};
  for (var i = 0; i < str.length; i++) {
    var letter = str[i];
    if (seenAlready[letter])
      seenAlready[letter] += 1;
    else
      seenAlready[letter] = 1;
  }
  var props = Object.keys(seenAlready); // creates an array of the keys in seenAlready
  for (var j = 0; j < props.length; j++) {
    var prop = props[j];
    console.log(prop + ' = ' + seenAlready[prop]);
  }
}

Your code was not counting any letters in the array. I used your original code and put in some console.log statements, so you can see what the values of different variables as your code executes.

Hello,
about your code, you get testStr[i] as undefined cause i at that point is already out of your array range. if your array length is 10 your loop will stop when i is also 10, but since array index starts with 0 your max index is 9 meaning array[10] will be out of range and will return undefined.