Wordpress job market

is there a scope for wordpress developers? What is the job market like? I am thinking of giving up on
javascript and switching to wordpress instead. seriously its extremely frustrating!

I do know someone who designs sites exclusively using wordpress. However, in his last project there were things that he was not able to deliver because wordpress lacked the plugins and he doesn’t know how to code.

So, if you are really going to get serious into wordpress, then coding will likely be important. I believe that wordpress is php based, which means knowing php.

I think that yes, you could probably find random jobs making wordpress sites, but my guess is that it would not be steady income, and it might not be financially lucrative.

1 Like

Wordpress powers something like 1,000% of all the web sites in the entire universe, so there should be lots of jobs. Actually, it’s just 27% according to their site, but that’s still a lot. There are people who work exclusively with Wordpress, both directly with clients and selling themes. Searching for Wordpress jobs in New York City through Indeed.com gives me almost 600 hits, but I’d imagine that none of those jobs would let you get away with not learning JavaScript. It seems like most of the jobs on Upwork are Wordpress related. So, you might be able to get a decent living, but it’d be harder. The real letdown is that Wordpress is moving to a fully JavaScript stack, so you’d have to learn JS anyways. I mean, I assume that’s a letdown for you. I think it’s great.

@aroojmumtaz could you maybe talk about what’s frustrating you? I’m sure you can get past it, and the community is here to help.

3 Likes

Wait, you’re a lawyer and you can’t get a job?!?
Lawyers power something like 1000% of all corporations, businesses and individuals in the entire multiverse so there should be lots of jobs. Listen, if you were able to …zzz zzz zzz…power through law manuals JavaScript should be a piece of cake. Just do it - good luck!

Sorry to hear that - that’s unfortunate. I was being a bit facetious but I’m glad you have a sense of humour.

As long as you remember that life is a series of good days/bad days (or good weeks/bad/weeks, or months or whatever…) and that decisions shouldn’t be made during the bad times (i.e. don’t decide to quit a good thing when the going is difficult) you’ll be fine. If you decide it’s not for you at least make sure you make that decision on a good day when you are being rational.

Hang in there and don’t give up. It’s a lot of hard work that will hopefully pay off. If JavaScript was easy then learning it well would not be special and it wouldn’t be as worthwhile.

@aroojmumtaz

I did a quick Google search on WordPress and JavaScript. From my readings, for right now, the WordPress Admin side is written in Node and React consuming WordPress REST API. But, it looks like they will be moving to all JavaScript tech stack some time in the future. So, there is no getting away from JavaScript.

My point, if you are going to do any kind of web development you will need to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript. An alternative, you can do purely Back-End development using PHP, Java, ASP.Net(C#.Nnet/VB.Net), Ruby, Python, ColdFusion, or any other server side programming language.

But, I have been seeing a move to Full JavaScript Development. Even in the US Federal government, they are slowly moving to Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and React.js development. When they usually use Java, ColdFusion, PHP and ASP.Net.

My only suggestion is to stick with it and use the Free Code Camp Community for support. There are many Campers who way stronger then me in development.

Clearing the air: Is WordPress being rewritten in Node.js and React?
Calypso is the new WordPress.com front-end
The Story Behind the New WordPress.com
WordPress Rocks The Web By Adopting JavaScript And Node.js

EDIT:
Six Things You Should Know About WordPress Moving to JavaScript
Beginner’s Guide to Learning JavaScript as a WordPress Developer

1 Like