REST APIs can be used to add a lot of functionality to your Android Apps.
We've released a full course on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel that will teach you how to create a Java Android app using a REST API.
You will learn how to build an Android app with Java that handles JSON data from a REST API service. The app uses the Volley library to create a weather app using API data.
The course was created by Shad Sluiter. Shad is a professor of computer science at Grand Canyon University. Over the past 20 years he has taught students from grade 6 to senior citizens in many aspects of technology.
This course includes advice on building a RequestQueue, designing a Singleton, and using callbacks for async network communications.
You will also learn to use the Volley library methods JsonArrayRequest and JsonArrayObject to parse a JSON file.
Here are the sections in this course:
- REST API explained: JSON vs XML
- Introduction to the Android Weather App
- Design the Layout
- Button onClick Listeners
- Request JSON Data with Volley
- Singleton Request Queue in Volley
- Callbacks for Async Requests
- Fetch One JSONObject from an Array
- JSONArrayRequest with Volley
- Fetch JASONArray with Volley
- Get Forecast by City Name
Watch the full course on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel (2.5 hour watch).