Visual Studio Code, also called VS Code, is one of the most popular code editors out there. It was created by Microsoft and is completely free to use.
VS Code is runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux. It is used by programmers to write software in a bunch of different programming languages, but it is especially powerful for web developers.
Here are some features of Visual Studio Code that can help you improve your coding productivity:
- syntax highlighting,
- automatic code indentation,
- key shortcuts,
- easy file navigation,
- and more.
We've released a full course about getting started with Visual Studio Code on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel. The course was created by James Q Quick.
The course covers the following topics:
- Installing Visual Studio Code
- Stable build vs insider's addition
- Opening for the First time
- The Layout
- Customizing the Layout with Shortcuts (Grid Tab System, Command Palette)
- Search and Replace
- More Shortcuts for Working with Files
- Shortcuts for Navigating and Editing Text
- Extensions and Themes
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Keymap Extensions
- Settings Sync
- Built in Terminal
- Source Control Integration
Watch the full course on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel (2 hour watch).