On this week's episode of the freeCodeCamp podcast, I interview Shawn Wang (@swyx). We talk about "learning in public" and his transition into tech from finance, where he left behind a job that paid him US $350,000 per year.
Shawn grew up in Singapore and came to the US as a college student.
He worked in finance, but at age 30, he burned out. So he decided to learn to code. He used freeCodeCamp and a ton of other resources, and since then he's worked as a freelance developer, and at several companies including Netlify.
It's a 2 hour listen in your favorite podcast player app - just search "freecodecamp" and you should find it.
If you have an Amazon Echo, you can just say "Alexa - play the freeCodeCamp podcast."
Or you can listen to it or right here in your browser. Enjoy the interview!
Here are some articles we discuss in the interview.
- The official React subreddit that Shawn moderates: https://reddit.com/r/reactjs
Job Search / Salary Negotation articles:
- Cracking the Coding Interview: https://fcc.im/2UihbNm
- Hasseeb Qureshi's story of getting a $250K/y developer job at Airbnb: https://haseebq.com/farewell-app-academy-hello-airbnb-part-i
- Steve Yegge's "Get that job at Google" essay: http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html
- Patrick McKenzie on Salary Negotiation https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
- Quincy's recommended article: I spent 3 months applying to jobs after a coding bootcamp. Here's what I learned: https://medium.freecodecamp.org/9a07468d2331
- Algorithm Expert: https://www.algoexpert.io/
- Full Stack Academy https://www.fullstackacademy.com
Shawn's Learn In Public movement:
- Shawn's Learn In Public essay https://gist.github.com/sw-yx/9720bd4a30606ca3ffb8d407113c0fe5
- Kent C Dodds' Zero to 60 in Software Development: How to Jumpstart Your Career https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qPh6I2hfjw&app=desktop
- Cory House on Becoming an Outlier: https://vimeo.com/97415346
- Brad Frost on Creative Exhaust: http://bradfrost.com/blog/post/creative-exhaust/
- Patrick McKenzie on the origin of the word "friendcatcher": https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=511089
- Chris Coyier on "Working In Public": https://chriscoyier.net/2012/09/23/working-in-public/
Links to other things we discuss:
- The origin of No Zero Days: https://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af/
- John Resig, creator of jQuery, telling his team to rip out jQuery: http://bikeshed.fm/180
- Jeff Bezos' Two Pizza Team rule: https://buffer.com/resources/small-teams-why-startups-often-win-against-google-and-facebook-the-science-behind-why-smaller-teams-get-more-done
- Shawn's "You can learn so much on the internet for the low, low price of your ego" quote draws from Paul Graham's Keep Your Identity Small: http://paulgraham.com/identity.html
- Shawn's Impostor Syndrome Bootcamp Podcast: https://player.fm/series/impostor-syndrome
- TypeScript's growth via npm surveys: https://mobile.twitter.com/seldo/status/1088240877107965953