Computers can be intimidating, especially if you didn't grow up with them. Some tasks that seem simple to experienced users can seem impossible to new users.
We just released a computer and technology basics course on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel. This course teaches the basics of computer use and is perfect for beginners and people that want to fill in some gaps on their knowledge.
The Goodwill Community Foundation developed this course. For almost 20 years, their GCFLearnFree.org program has helped millions around the world learn the essential skills they need to live and work in the 21st century.
In this course you’ll learn more about the types of computers and operating systems in use today. You'll also gain a better understanding of the basic parts of a computer, how applications are used, connecting to the Internet, and more.
This computer basics course is full of animations to help you understand the topics.
Here are the topics covered in this course:
- What Is a Computer?
- Buttons and Ports on a Computer
- Basic Parts of a Computer
- Inside a Computer
- Getting to Know Laptop Computers
- Understanding Operating Systems
- Understanding Applications
- Setting Up a Desktop Computer
- Connecting to the Internet
- What Is the Cloud?
- Cleaning Your Computer
- Protecting Your Computer
- Creating a Safe Workspace
- Internet Safety: Your Browser's Security Features
- Understanding Spam and Phishing
- Understanding Digital Tracking
- Windows Basics: Getting Started with the Desktop
- Mac OS X Basics: Getting Started with the Desktop
- Browser Basics
Watch the full course below or on the freeCodeCamp.org YouTube channel (1-hour watch).