As web developers, we all know that practice makes perfect. But when it comes to practice, it's easy to get stuck in a programming rut.
But how do you come up with new ideas to build? Sooner or later, you will find yourself running out of features to add or algorithms to implement.
Fortunately, there is a simple solution: APIs. APIs are infinitely versatile and you can use them to create countless unique projects.
To help jumpstart your coding practice, I'll show you 9 different project ideas—all of which leverage APIs in some way—that you can use to build up your programming skills.
Let's get started!
How to Build an E-Signature App
We'll start by building an e-signature app using a few APIs. These APIs have most of the features required to build an e-signature app.
You can use the DocuSign API to generate personalized digital signatures, set up workflows, templates, tagging rules, secure document storage, encryption, and so on in a safe environment.
So how would you get started with this project? I'd recommend using React, Node and MongoDB to create this type of app. Here's a rough outline of some steps you could take:
- Read the DocuSign API documentation and signup for a developer account.
- Design the UI using React or Angular
- Implement the back-end logic using NodeJS
- Test and debug your app in the DocuSign API sandbox, and you're good to go.
How to Build a Stock Market Tracking App
If you're looking to sharpen your development abilities while also producing something worthwhile and impressive, creating a stock market tracking application could be a great option.
This type of app can monitor stock values and store them in a database for fast access and evaluation. Utilizing the Alpha Vantage API, you can access data on stocks and prices.
For this project, you'll need to use a charting library like Chart.js, Highcharts or D3.js. These libraries will help to show the data in more visually appealing way.
You may also want to store data such as stock quotes, historical data, and user portfolios, so you'll need a database for that. I'd suggest MongoDB or PostgreSQL as a couple good choices. For the front end, React would be a good choice, and you can use Node for the back end.
So how do you get started?
- First, you'll want to identify the key functionalities you want to include, like real-time stock quotes, historical stock data, portfolio tracking, customizable watchlists, alerts, and so on.
- You'll use the Alpha Vantage API as your data source for stock market data. Alpha Vantage provides a comprehensive and reliable set of APIs for accessing stock market data, including stock quotes, technical indicators, historical data, and more.
- You'll also need to create an intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- You'll have to integrate the Alpha Vantage API to fetch real-time or historical stock market data.
- Then you'll implement the core functionality using the Alpha Vantage API. This can include displaying real-time stock quotes, charts, news, portfolio tracking, watchlists, alerts, and notifications.
- Finally, you'll make sure user data and financial information is protected and secure by implementing appropriate security measures, such as data encryption, authentication, and authorization.
Building an application like this is an excellent way to help you practice your development skills with something exciting and useful.
How to Build a Delivery Management App
Creating a delivery management app is actually quite straightforward. It helps entrepreneurs and business owners get their goods delivered to customers in an efficient manner.
- You'll need tools like Google Maps, Geocoding, or other geolocation APIs to get started.
- You'll have to create an interface for customers to enter their delivery address and track the real-time location of delivery drivers using the Google Maps API.
- For each driver, you should create a profile with contact information, estimated time of arrival, and any details about the goods being delivered.
- Customers should be able to track their deliveries in real-time while calculating distance and route optimization for better predictions on arrival times.
It's just like creating a smaller version of Zomato or DoorDash (in the US).
How to Develop an Online Shopping Mall App
If you're ready to work with a lot of different APIs, this online shopping mall app project will be a fun one for you. You'll use the below APIs to build a modern e-commerce app for selling anything from clothes and accessories to groceries or furniture.
For this project, you will need to use the following APIs:
- A payment gateway API like the PayPal API or the Stripe API to collect payment from users.
- A query language like GraphQL API to manage data operations and fetch the data needed by the app.
- A shipping API to provide delivery services to customers.
- An inventory API to sync inventory across multiple stores and warehouses.
- A review API to record customer reviews of the products.
By using these APIs and developing your own front-end code, you can create an online shopping mall application that will make it easier for customers to order products from multiple stores.
How to Design a Tax Rate Calculator Tool
For your next project, why not try designing a tax rate calculator tool for personal use?
With taxes varying from country to country and state to state, it can be confusing to accurately calculate your tax rate.
You'll need an API, like TaxJar's SalesTax API, that provides up-to-date information about local sales taxes for products and services.
How to Develop an Image Editing App
Developing an image editing web application can be quite a bit of work, but there are many APIs that can help you simplify some of the processes like adjusting contrast, resizing an image, or making some quick image edits.
If you're thinking of developing your own image editor, here are some resources:
- You can use ImageMagick's Image Processing API to manipulate and transform images.
- You can use Azure Computer Vision's APIs to add text overlays on images.
- You can use Slazzer's Remove Background API to clear up any unwanted background noise or add this feature if necessary.
- Everypixel Image Collage API helps you create customized photo collages.
How to Create an Online Video Conferencing App
Video conferencing apps are becoming more and more popular as they provide us with an easy way to stay connected, no matter the distance.
It's possible to build your own video conferencing app with the help of APIs, and a bit of coding know-how.
To begin with, you'll need an API that provides the video conferencing feature, such as the Twilio Video API.
You'll also need an API for authentication such as the Auth0 API.
With these two APIs combined, you can make an app that allows users to securely register and log in, and then start a video call with their contacts.
How to Build a Real Estate Management System
Building a real estate management system to keep track of your properties sounds like a great project idea, don't you agree?
By combining different APIs, you can assemble a system that would help you efficiently manage and maintain your investments.
You can use the Google Maps API to acquire geographical info regarding your properties and store it in the database.
Also, with the assistance of APIs such as the Zillow API or the Trulia API, you can get accurate pricing info for similar properties located in particular areas.
This is beneficial when it comes to getting the market value of your properties.
Lastly, the Google Calendar API or the Microsoft Outlook API can be utilized to generate automated notifications when collecting rent payments from tenants.
In summary, merging these APIs can help you create an effective real estate management system that saves time and money while properly organizing your properties!
How to Build an Event Planning Organizer Tool
Organizers looking to plan events of all sizes – from birthdays to weddings, and corporate gatherings – need help managing the tasks associated with them.
An event planning app provides a great tool for this, giving users deadlines and reminders as they work to prepare for the occasion.
- Using Google Calendar and the Trello API, it's possible to provide calendar integration features that pull in event details and allow users to sync between multiple platforms.
- The Trello API also helps users keep track of tasks both before and after an event, creating lists that outline what needs to be accomplished.
- Each task can be assigned a due date and a priority level, so that you can be sure nothing is missed or overlooked before the big day arrives.
You can also set up a notification feature for users, letting them know when a task needs attention or providing them with helpful reminders regarding upcoming deadlines.
All of these features combined would make your tool a useful resource for any type of event planner or organizer.
You can develop your skills and knowledge as a programmer by building some basic projects. With the help of the APIs and project ideas presented in this article, you can build some interesting projects and enhance your development journey.
APIs can be intimidating at first, but with constant practice, you'll get used to working with them. And as your programming skills grow, you’ll be able to push the boundaries and explore more possibilities.
Read more on APIs: